Mudlet and Snow Leopard

Arkholt

Mudlet and Snow Leopard

Post by Arkholt »

Just wanting to check something...

I haven't upgraded to Snow Leopard yet (Mac OS X 10.6). Still waiting for apps to roll out 10.6 compatibility. Had a question, though: for those who have upgraded, or who already had the developer builds, does Mudlet run as it should?

Second question: if I upgrade to Snow Leopard, as the maintainer of the Mac package, will a 10.6 compiled binary still work on 10.5 or will there need to be a 10.5 maintainer as well?

Arkholt

Re: Mudlet and Snow Leopard

Post by Arkholt »

This is also worrisome:
http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2009/08 ... ac-os-106/

Apparently Qt 4.5 is supposed to work on Snow Leopard, but it's not officially supported, and official support will not come until 4.6. However, as I've read elsewhere, 4.6 isn't supposed to come out until late 2009. Will this be a problem? I actually want to upgrade sooner than later, but I don't know what that will do to my status as Mac maintainer.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Thanks for the link. I'll try to get out beta-15 on Sunday. Then you could maybe build one last OSX 10.5 package which will include at least several of the new features and some important bug fixes.

I'm pretty sure that the Qt SDK package will soon run on 10.6 and you'll be able to keep building Mudlet for 10.6. Then we need to get somebody who can build binaries for older versions of MAC OSX. Please don't forget to save your building scripts & packages that you use for building on 10.5. If you make them available and maybe provide some instructions it's far more likely to find somebody who can make binaries for older versions of OSX.

Arkholt

Post by Arkholt »

Okay, I think I figured something out. I'll explain, and I hope you don't get lost.

On the Mac, by default, qmake will create an Xcode project for the src.pro when run without any arguments. (Xcode is, of course, the Mac IDE for pretty much every major codebase). I usually pass -spec macx-g++ when running qmake in order to create a make file to make with gcc. However, creating an Xcode project is actually better, as it makes it simpler to compile with all the options you want. In Xcode, you can specify which systems and architectures you want to build for, meaning a project can be built for earlier systems and other architectures besides the one it's built on, if properly specified. I can't believe I didn't see any of this earlier.

Basically, I think this means that I will still be able to build for Leopard if I upgrade to Snow Leopard. I also think this means that I should be able to build for Tiger as well as PPC in Leopard.

Three problems, though: One, I don't know if any of this is right, but I think it is. It's all just speculation by myself about some things that I found out. Two, I still don't know how well Qt/qmake will work in Snow Leopard. I'll just have to find out. Three, even though I think this means that I'll be able to build for Tiger (10.4), it's been very clearly stated that gcc 4.2, which Snow Leopard has, will not build for 10.4. gcc 4.0, which Leopard has, will however. So, even if I can figure out how to make a Tiger version now, there won't be any more of them after I upgrade.

This means, to all Mac users, if you want to try to compile by yourself, please do. Feel free to ask me any questions. Getting more Mac maintainers would be awesome. :)

Arkholt

Post by Arkholt »

Sometimes things are far simpler than they seem at first.

I found this in the Qt documentation: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/deployment-mac.html

It looks like an option needs to be added to src.pro to tell qmake which system to target for deployment (QMAKE_MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET = 10.4). Then it should compile and work on 10.4 and later systems. Of course, this will still only work with gcc 4.0 and not 4.2. In Snow Leopard, it should be able to compile and deploy for Leopard and Snow Leopard. To test this out, will someone running Tiger (10.4.*) please test out this binary for me?

http://drop.io/mudlet1/asset/mudlet-app-zip

You'll need to download the Mac installer .dmg and install the dependancies package first.