Optimize script?

Nyyrazzilyss

Optimize script?

Post by Nyyrazzilyss »

I'm about to re-write a few parts of my script to optimize it, and looking around have found a few discussions about this (localize/avoid global namespace, etc).

If I have a large table (~1k entries) of the below structure: Are lookups from it going to be independent of order, alphabetical, start->finish, finish->start, etc? Just wondering if I can speed it up slightly by forcing the table to a specific order.

["a dun potion"] = " Lvl:20 vigorize critic ",
["a vial of white powder"] = " Lvl:15 blindness - poison - haste ",
["a vial of dolomite"] = " Lvl:50 stone - dispel invisible - dispel good ",

Optimization came up because I have a large sql database that I just added a function to access it. Individual selects are fast - If it has to do a thousand of them though, it lags mudlet a couple seconds - Noticable. If I keep a cache of a subset of the database (the most referenced results), and consult that cache prior to running a select against the database, I have a noticeable speed increase: From lagged a couple seconds, to realtime.

demonnic

Re: Optimize script?

Post by demonnic »

That sort of table is not ordered in any particular fashion. If you iterate it a thousand times, it could potentially iterated a thousand different orders.

Or it might iterate in the same order every time. You just can't depend on it.

Nyyrazzilyss

Post by Nyyrazzilyss »

It's more a lua question I guess then a mudlet question, however:

Not iterating, but individual lookup:

If values for table x exist for ["a"], ["b"], ["c"], ["d"], ["e"] and I want to know the value of x["b"].

Does lua find it by an index, iterate through from the start of the table looking for a match, or end of the table? It couldn't be random, there would have to be some sort of order. I would think it should be possible for me to populate a table in a specific order to have higher probability results checked first.

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

when you look up x["b"] then it finds it by index. It's a hashed index, so it should go directly to the place in memory the value for that hash is stored, iirc.