Mudlet 3.0.0-beta (preview #2)

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Mudlet 3.0.0-beta (preview #2)

Post by SlySven »

There has been some changes to the sound system since Qt 5 dropped their own support for the Phonon sound library that Qt4 (and we) were using (though I think the KDE guys are still plugging away on it and have ported it to Qt5 after all.) Instead the QMultiMedia module is used and I, personally, do not know how well that works - though I will give it a look - as I had spotted one or two things that I think we could have done differently/better(?) with the Phonon based stuff... :geek:

Edit: Well it does seem to work - but it does seem to need the full, absolute path/filename to the file to play. Of course it does depend on the underlying sound system infrastructure which will vary between platforms. We are (currently in the 3.0-ish Qt5 based stuff, but not in 2.1 which used the KDE developed "Phonon" system) using the QMediaPlayer class to play audio files which does support the widest range of media type of the Qt classes we could have used (will typically include support for "mp3" and other lossy/compressed file formats, may conceivable support playing sounds from remote servers?) but this does come at the cost of some latency; there may be merit in working out a way to allow the user to load up a bank of QSoundEffect, from a more restricted set of file formats, e.g. .wav, .raw, which once loaded can be played at will, at short notice. Also the QMediaPlayer could be made to behave as a background music player supporting looping / playing from a list of files.

A couple of niggles I have is that we do not offer any sound level ("volume") adjustment for the audio playback and the Qt5 Multimedia infrastructure does not (currently) offer any means of positional control ("balance"/"panning"/"fading") either statically or dynamically, for playback of audio on multi-channel (stereo or better) hardware. I'm sure I don't need to posit the potential that hearing the sound of footsteps approaching from the left (on stereo hardware) or behind you (more than stereo) might have on enhancing the MUD experience.
;)

Swal

Post by Swal »

I randomly experience loss of script where my "file" still exists, but the content is gone. Luckily I have kdiff3, so managed to merge my scripts together, but it is still suboptimal.

I don't think I did anything special. I click both save EVERY SINGLE TIME I change something, so barely anything got lost. Phew.
Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what triggers it?

Edit: Today morning noticed it happening after opening a file (not changing, not saving) and switching to an another one. However if it was that simple, half my script would be already gone.

Avaloniac

Post by Avaloniac »

Is there a known ATCP Issue in 3.0.0-beta?
Cant get it to work with Avalon.mud.de
(win7 installer)

JaySee

Post by JaySee »

I just downloaded Mudlet for the first time ever, and I decided to go with preview #2 of the beta release. It is entirely possible that I've missed something because I'm such a Mudlet novice, but I have searched the forums and haven't managed to find answers to my questions thus far.

First: despite reading that Mudlet is shipped with two English dictionaries, I cannot seem to locate them; as a result, spell check currently registers every word I type as misspelled. I did discover how to disable spellchecker, but I'm wondering if someone could direct me to a place to download the dictionaries that should have come with the package. I believe I read that I would just need to put them in the same folder as the Mudlet.exe file.

Second: is there a keyboard shortcut to the search box (ctrl + f doesn't seem to work)? If not, is there a way to implement one? Also, is there a way to turn off case sensitivity for the search box?

Thanks for your time!

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Hiya - the Windows release is missing the dictionaries, we'll fix this.

There isn't a shortcut to select the search box, and you can't turn off case sensitivity yet.

Snowscoran

Post by Snowscoran »

Swal wrote:I randomly experience loss of script where my "file" still exists, but the content is gone. Luckily I have kdiff3, so managed to merge my scripts together, but it is still suboptimal.

I don't think I did anything special. I click both save EVERY SINGLE TIME I change something, so barely anything got lost. Phew.

Edit: Today morning noticed it happening after opening a file (not changing, not saving) and switching to an another one. However if it was that simple, half my script would be already gone.
I have this problem too, and it's awfully annoying. Sometimes it happens to scripts I've been working actively with, but I just experienced it happening with a trigger that fires only once in a blue moon- which suddenly didn't fire, and lo and behold, the script was magically gone. Haven't been able to reliably reproduce.

imany

Post by imany »

I also ran into the script disappearance thing once, though I haven't reproduced it and it may have been user error, somehow.

I have no idea if this is related as I'm not super savvy with this stuff, but I had a weird copy/paste issue where I had three separate scripts. I wanted to merge one script into the second, but somehow ended up with a paste of the third without having copied it. After undoing the paste and copying things as I thought I wanted them, and then saving the profile, scripts two and three were blank and I had the leftovers of script one, with nothing else. Restoring to backed up profiles seemed to indicate I'd actually lost the third script awhile back, so I ended up just deleting it out of the module manager and importing it fresh.

I'm also having some trouble with the module syncing system. I have two profiles open, have checked, unchecked and rechecked the modules in question on one profile, and looked over at the module manager on the other, only to find it blank. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm running OSX Yosemite, if that's relevant.

tibitha

Post by tibitha »

Hey, so I fixed the copy/paste issue was having earlier, it was my anti-virus that was causing that.

I'm still get the lua error on pretty much every line:
[ERROR:] object:<JSON decoder error:> function:<json_to_value>
<Lua error:InvalidJSONInput: parse error: premature EOF

(right here) ------^
at ..\src\lua_yajl.c line 318>
Vadi wrote:
Drevarr wrote:I am experiencing an odd issue with HTML logging. The logs are not reflecting what I see live, in that some lines are replicated up to 10x and the second line of my prompt is duplicated. Playback from DAT and live sessions are normal.

Example: HTML Log snip
Do you do any gagging/substitution etc? I think the issue might lie there. Getting a simple test case that can reproduce the problem will be a big help.
I'm also having this error on both html and normal logging. It seems to appear when you have a trigger that looks for "return isPrompt()" and then deleteLine(), then it duplicates the last row of every line in the log.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Snowscoran wrote:
Swal wrote:I randomly experience loss of script where my "file" still exists, but the content is gone. Luckily I have kdiff3, so managed to merge my scripts together, but it is still suboptimal.

I have this problem too, and it's awfully annoying. Sometimes it happens to scripts I've been working actively with, but I just experienced it happening with a trigger that fires only once in a blue moon- which suddenly didn't fire, and lo and behold, the script was magically gone. Haven't been able to reliably reproduce.
This is documented at https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1377401, has to do with using the search view... avoiding it didn't seem to make it happen.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

tibitha wrote:Hey, so I fixed the copy/paste issue was having earlier, it was my anti-virus that was causing that.
What did you do in your anti-virus to fix it?