Accents

JonZar

Accents

Post by JonZar »

Hi, first post here, i love how mudlet works and all the things one can make with it, but, whenever i type a letter with an accent or other characters, they don't show up, or they are send wrong to the mud, how can i fix that?

Vadi

Re: Accents

Post by Vadi »

Are you sure your game supports displaying accents?

JonZar

Post by JonZar »

Yes, here is part of the input and output of the mud:

http://prntscr.com/2afvj9

That was taken with zmud.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I'm not sure how can you fix that off the top of my head. Maybe someone else can chip in with experience dealing with this.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Are some parts of Mudlet not capable of handling UTF-8 encoded text, I vaguely remember thinking that the Lua subsystem might have issues with non-ASCII text but I could be wrong there... One tiny niggle I spotted is that the "letter" code usable for rooms in the 2D maps is encoded or used in a way (restricted to range 0-255?) that could limit the characters that can be used (whereas a decent Monotype font can have all sorts of useful glyphs to encode a representation of what the room is for or has !!! - and for the really adventurous you can extend a font in the Private use areas - including Unicode points in the range starting at U+E000 - with something like fontforge).

The important thing to remember if processing such text is that byte counts do not correspond to character counts - though the rules for interpreting such streams are very specific about what is and is not a valid combination of bytes - on the brighter side - misjudging where a character starts and ends is only likely to miss up one or two characters.

I haven't looked into how the Qt libraries can help with handling such text streams but I'm sure they can help!