Just a question about kmuddy...

yonaton

Just a question about kmuddy...

Post by yonaton »

I see the handle 'vadi' and it looks familiar. It's been quite a while since I've been able to get on the kmuddy forums and now that I can they seem to be...gone. The whole kmuddy site. Did something happen to Mecir? Is kmuddy lost in the wind? It was the best there was, at least for *me* at least, and now I have to hope I can use mudlet as easily as kmuddy...in case something happens to my kmuddy that is.

Is this Mudlet a fork of kmuddy or is it Mecir's baby taken over by others and renamed?

Just kinda feeling lost and sad that kmuddy's gone, as I've used it for many years and hoping that it wasn't for aught that it was around in the first place.

demonnic

Re: Just a question about kmuddy...

Post by demonnic »

While Vadi, Heiko, and myself met in the kmuddy IRC channel, mudlet is its own MUD client and not a fork or continuation of kmuddy. It does things differently than kmuddy in some fundamental ways, but I like to think it's not too difficult to use. If you join the IRC channel I'll help as much as I can. Still, kmuddy itself should continue to be functional in its current form though, I'd imagine.

As for Mecir, he's working for Iron Realms Entertainment the last I heard. I don't know if he took the site down because he doesn't see himself returning to work on kmuddy, or if there may have been some other reason for it altogether. There's an email listed for him on IRE's about us page (http://www.ironrealms.com/about-us) if you want to try to contact him and ask, though.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

I've sent Thomas an email to find out what has happened. Mudlet does indeed use the telnet protocol implementation of kmuddy, so at least a little bit of kmuddy is still alive.

kevutian

Post by kevutian »

Tomas is in #kmuddy on a daily basis. Just nick highlight him.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

This is Thomas Mecir's reply:
Hi Heiko!

Yes, I am aware, unfortunately my hosting went offline some time ago, and I
haven't yet gotten around to finding a new one. It's on my list of things to
do, hopefully the site will be back in some form soon (apparently I have lost
the backups, which makes things trickier). The repository itself is still up
over at KDE's git - git://anongit.kde.org/kmuddy - so the code remains
accessible normally.

/ Tomas

yonaton

Post by yonaton »

Heh...I guess that kinda cleared things up. Thanks for the answers folks.

I did notice that the 2.0test version of Mudlet has a download for everything but a linux tarball. Any idea when one might come out?

Can't seem to get git://anongit.kde.org/kmuddy to come up. Well, Tomas may have another site up again sometime, I suppose.

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

If you're using a non-Ubuntu linux, then building from source is the best option right now.

The git:// url is for downloading source code using the git source code management suite of tools. After downloading and installing git, you would then

git clone git://anongit.kde.org/kmuddy

and it would download the source code for kmuddy.

yonaton

Post by yonaton »

Thanks, demonnic. I should have said that I am pretty sure I have the latest and greatest of kmuddy, so I'm not worried about that, but that I'd like to try the Mudlet but can't find a tarball for the 2.0test4 for linux anywhere. All I saw were .exe's and a couple things for Mac's IIRR. Is there any src tarfile's for linux of 2.0test4?

I got 1.1.1 up and running, but I'm really, really wanting a mapper as I don't have a printer to print out maps anymore and could really use a mapper to make it easier for me to get around in mud's.

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

There's a separate section for Source Code on the downloads page. You can clone mudlet from git using

git clone git://mudlet.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/mudlet/mudlet

For convenience, I have made the current tip as of today available here: CLICKY

But I really do recommend installing git and cloning it from the repository, as that way you will be able to obtain any new code that is checked in by using 'git pull'

Compiling mudlet can be difficult sometimes. The following page may be of assistance: CLICKY

If you have problems, someone in #mudlet on freenode may be able to help you. CLICKY to go right there in your browser.

Good luck, and welcome to mudlet =)

yonaton

Post by yonaton »

Fantastic. Thank you again, demonnic.

I run Slackware, so I have git. The only PITA I have is I'm on dial-up and 15MB will take a while to download, so it's gonna have to be one of those 'start it just before I go to sleep in the evening' things, heh.