User Windows

Oneymus

User Windows

Post by Oneymus »

Is there any particular reason UserWindows are frowned upon? It seems to me they could be pretty handy. In fact, they supply tabs naturally, in addition to being movable, resizable, and dockable. While they lack for functions (hiding, showing, moving, resizing, ...), it seems like they'd be the perfect addition to the user interface if embraced.

My horrible layout aside, UserWindows can look like this: http://i.imgur.com/DWpYm.jpg

Rakon

Re: User Windows

Post by Rakon »

I believe the consensus was that UserWindows are just too 'slow' at handling text (re)drawing.

Vadi

Re: User Windows

Post by Vadi »

The history is such - at first there were userwindows, then miniconsoles. Miniconsoles were added as a better solution because they integrated right into the main window and thus UI-wise, looked nicer, were easier to fit in and etc.

I don't think userwindows have a slower redrawing speed, in fact they should have the same as the main console - one issue with the atm is that they also inherit main windows borders, and there's nothing you can do about that!

So miniconsoles were just added and developed more. Userwindows still need more of a framework behind them...