achaea gmcp time

Lyev

achaea gmcp time

Post by Lyev »

Is there anyway to access the current time in Achaea with gmcp?
I want to add it to my prompt like this: 1500h, 1551m, 6400e, 5950w ex-(2%)(middle of the night)

Iocun

Re: achaea gmcp time

Post by Iocun »

I wish there was, but alas, no. I do it with a whole bunch of triggers, and extrapolating with a timer that adds an "Achaean minute" to my count every 2.8 real seconds. So basically, I have an "Achaean clock" that counts from 0 (midnight) to 1440 (24*60, next midnight) and I use triggers to calibrate it at midnight, approaching dawn, dawn, early morning, etc. That allows me to quite accurately tell the Achaean time at any point, even if underground or so.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

I didn't realize that the time was important enough to go through that much effort for! What are you guys using it for?

Iocun

Post by Iocun »

I go through a lot of trouble for rather irrelevant things. I mainly use it for my GUI, which displays the current Achaean time with some sun and moon images that move in real time. There's no deep practical purpose behind it, other than having an immediate, nice-looking reference that can help with RP (even if it's just for greeting someone with a "good morning" or "good evening" and not getting it wrong all the time).

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Thanks for the maths! It's in my mind to track that as well :)

Even more necessary in Lusternia, where some skills/defup abilities depend on the time of the day.

Lyev

Post by Lyev »

It's a shame that there is no gmcp way! Thanks for the replies anyway.

Iocun

Post by Iocun »

Vadi wrote:Thanks for the maths! It's in my mind to track that as well :)
The 2.8 seconds per Achaean minute are a somewhat rough approximate value, mind you. I'm not quite sure how many real life minutes an actual Achaean day is, and it also doesn't seem to be exactly the same all the time. I just found experimentally that with shorter values for the timer, it was generally too fast, with higher values it was too slow, and with 2.8 it was more or less equally often either too fast or too slow.

keneanung
Site Admin
Discord: keneanung#2803

Post by keneanung »

HELP TIME states this:
Achaea - That Other Context
------ ------------------
1 Year ~ 300 hours (about 12 and a half days)
1 Month ~ 25 hours
1 Day ~ 1 hour
1 Hour ~ 2 and a half minutes
1 Minute ~ 2 and a half seconds
1 Second ~ 1/24 of a second

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Iocun wrote:
Vadi wrote:Thanks for the maths! It's in my mind to track that as well :)
The 2.8 seconds per Achaean minute are a somewhat rough approximate value, mind you. I'm not quite sure how many real life minutes an actual Achaean day is, and it also doesn't seem to be exactly the same all the time. I just found experimentally that with shorter values for the timer, it was generally too fast, with higher values it was too slow, and with 2.8 it was more or less equally often either too fast or too slow.
Right, hence the adjustment triggers you mentioned as well. Clear enough, thanks :)

Iocun

Post by Iocun »

keneanung wrote:HELP TIME states this:
Achaea - That Other Context
------ ------------------
1 Year ~ 300 hours (about 12 and a half days)
1 Month ~ 25 hours
1 Day ~ 1 hour
1 Hour ~ 2 and a half minutes
1 Minute ~ 2 and a half seconds
1 Second ~ 1/24 of a second
The tilde being the key here. I've generally found the Achaean time periods to be somewhat longer than indicated here, and the Achaean clock doesn't always run quite steadily. I also prefer if, in doubt, my counter runs slightly to slow than if it ran too fast, for aesthetic reasons: Since my sun and moon images move "forward" anyways, it doesn't look very jarring if they jump a bit more ahead when my clock is synchronized with triggers, but it would look bad if they were "ahead of time" and needed to jump backwards again when those triggers fire.