Mudlet-2.0-test4 released

chris

Re: Mudlet-2.0-test4 released

Post by chris »

They both have the same information, but yes, that will be how it works now should you build from source (my source, not the SF one, look @ My Github repository post for my url). I just commited that swapchange

Omit

Post by Omit »

thank you (no idea when I will be able to build from source.... any good instructions for windows?)

not sure if it really is the same information (least not always), I am pretty sure I have mapped multiple commands to the same room and I believe they all did show up in the swap function (lua would overwrite them in the reg one as the 2 entries would have the same key)

example: One room I have mapped has a staircase, to go that dir all the following commands work: staircase, stairs, up
when you got the speciel exits only one of the commands would display, with the swap function all of them would.

Guess the real differance in usage is.... are you looking for any command to take you to that room (like for pathfinding) or are you looking for a room that a command takes you to from you current location.

Daagar

Post by Daagar »

I think only 2 people know how to get mudlet compiled in windows. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them so I can't help you out. I actually installed Ubuntu on a VM simply to track some of chris' changes :)

Omit

Post by Omit »

I have been thinking about the changes with the speciel exits and I have a couple critisms/suggestions.

The changes in the tables returned for speciel exits is inconsistant with other table results (look at what getRoomExits returns). I question if this is the right way to return room lock information? Wouldn't a function like hasExitLock for speciel exits be more approiate? (hasSpecExitLock?) Inversly, if returning the room lock information with the room information is the best thing to do? Shouldn't getRoomExits and other functions for the regular exits also return a table of tables with this information?(I have never had a need to lock a room or check if one is locked)

I have seen Mudlet progress and one of the things that is nice about it is how clear the the mapping api is. I would hate to see the sytle fragmented too much as that will make it a lot more difficult for users.

chris

Post by chris »

The reason it diverged in the first place was how special exit handling was implemented (prepending a 1/0 to the special exit command). Changing how the special exits were returned so the user doesn't have to manually slice apart all the special exits seems a lot better to me. In general, we only care about locked exits for speedwalking, so putting the locked information at a level below the exit name or the room id makes it easier to just script based on the top most information

Omit

Post by Omit »

*facepalm ....I think I want to ask you to change the w..ay the table is returned for specialexitsswap...again.

It was added at my request for the following kind of useage. (Can't think why you would care if the exit is locked in when using it....please forgive my phsdo code...I am on my phone atm.)

Local dir--table for directions
Local roomid=current location
Local command=last command sent to mud
Local standard=checkForStandifardDir(command)--truefalse
If standard then
dir=getexits(roomid)
Else
dir=getSpecialExitSwap(roomid)
End
CurrentLocation=dir[command]--new location

You can see where the inconsistency is causing me issues.... I could certainly work around the issue if there was a compelling reason to return the lock info in the getSpecialExitSwap Function.

What do you think?

Omit

imanerd

Post by imanerd »

I actually tried loading a previous profile save, but it did the same thing. Maybe it's the XML thing? Not sure what happened. Anyway all is well now. I have everything the way it was before, thank goodness, a pain in the butt as it was, I admit. But thanks for your help, chris. And sorry for not replying so quickly. I've been busy with school, but I have free time currently in Web Design class.

Thanks,
Ima

Oh and that reminds me, whenever I load my profile, I've just remembered that it says about failing to get permissions or something like that. That might be it I'm presuming? Again, thanks for your help. Appreciated.

Omit

Post by Omit »

Hmm.... I noticed a fairly minor issue with the map.
In 2d mode, simply left clicking a room changes the maps center.(...and doesn't even center on the room selected...I do not have any scripting attached to this event) If you continue to click rooms, the map may even move out of the visable area.

chris

Post by chris »

That doesn't happen with me. If i click a room, the room is highlighted, and the mapper doesn't move. You can hold the left mouse button to pan the map, perhaps you are moving + clicking?

Omit

Post by Omit »

Nope, was not moving and clicking.....
On closer inspection, It doesn't seem to happen every time. It does seem to happen very very frequently.(maybe every 4th or fifth room selected.)
When the error does occur, the map view gets shifted down by exactly 1 room (and the room you tried to select is not highlighted/selected).

(again, this is only in 2d mode)

edit: It does not seem to be limited to when you click on rooms, it will also do it when clicking anywhere on the 2d map (again, not with every click but very often)

edit2: OK, maybe the mouse is moving when I click, If it is, it is only by a a pixil or two. If that is the case, it's still pretty bad. Prehaps the 'panning' event should not be activated until the mouse is further from the initial click point. (maybe by half the distance of the rooms displayed at thier current scale).... I am not sure how steady your hands are but it is very diffacult for me to click and always release in the exact same location.