[resolved] Bloat-ware and crashing!

Heiko
Site Admin

Re: Bloat-ware and crashing!

Post by Heiko »

This is an example of the typical communication problem with people who are not familiar with the code & development e.g. you can't possibly remove the mapper by removing your little mapper script because the mapper is not written in Lua, but in C++ as the rest of Mudlet. What you've removed is your mapper script i.e. the little Lua script that translates MUD specific text events related to moving/mapping into something that the mapper can make sense of. The mapper only loads the map if you start the mapper via the show map button. The map is loaded after the selected profile is being loaded, but you report slow loading before the profile selection -> zero profile nor map loading takes place at this point. Consequently, the long loading time of the profile selection dialog on your machine has other reasons that need to be sorted out by more specific problem descriptions on your part as nobody else I know of has such problems.

If you insist that Mudlet crashes instead of looping, then please provide a screenshot of the windows error exception box after the crash.

Are you sure that you use the latest Mudlet-2.0-test3 or test4 (though test4 has some issues)?

Oneymus

Post by Oneymus »

Would you be willing to post the problem profile? Perhaps there is something someone else can find that you're overlooking.

Having said that, there is always the possibility the client has an issue, and you have uncovered some heretofore unknown problem. The only way we're going to know, however, is to remove the possibility of far more likely obstacles. The fact is, almost all (90%+) known problems with Mudlet crashing are the result of user error.

And, unfortunately, Vadi's attitude is deplorable. It has been, and will probably continue to be. I, and many other fine, polite individuals, would ask you not to hold his behaviour as representative of the Mudlet community.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Yes, because throwing around claims of bloat-ware is an okay and an acceptable thing to do. Let's not start victimizing anyone here, use proper manners, and a bit less of ignorance.

Fo-Rum

Post by Fo-Rum »

Okay! So, what I've removed is just some script related stuff but not the core of the mapper!

The long load is actually associated with having selected to load a profile (the start of loading it). There are two profiles that do this, and both are Lusternia profiles. I've got the default profile that comes with Mudlet (which I don't use), and the other Lusternia profile which I made for myself. The default one has absolutely nothing in it, and it takes just as long to load as my main profile. These are the only profiles out of every profile in Mudlet that have this loading issue. I'm fairly certain that if I were to reinstall Mudlet altogether (making sure to delete all associated files before reinstall) that it would solve this, but that wouldn't solve the long load times when I decide to use the mapper in the future!

As for Mudlet disappearing on me, I haven't had that happen since I updated to the latest release yesterday. I'm fairly optimistic about it right now!

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Uh... Vadi has been around these forums since the beginning, and has never been anything but helpful to people who ask for it. Claims to the contrary are entirely false.

That being said, the OP was neither informative nor polite. The claims made were, from the perspective of a long time coder, almost certainly caused by user-error; instead of listening to this fact the OP ran his mouth off about how Mudlet sucks and crashes and is bloated and he can't possibly be at fault.

Attitude is very important. If you want help, be polite. It really gets you a lot farther than throwing accusations.

Fo-Rum

Post by Fo-Rum »

tsuujin wrote:That being said, the OP was neither informative nor polite. The claims made were, from the perspective of a long time coder, almost certainly caused by user-error; instead of listening to this fact the OP ran his mouth off about how Mudlet sucks and crashes and is bloated and he can't possibly be at fault.

Attitude is very important. If you want help, be polite. It really gets you a lot farther than throwing accusations.
I never said Mudlet sucks, and I never said it was bloated either. I think perhaps "bad attitudes" are stemming from a lack of reading comprehension. I said I didn't like the mapper, not that it sucks. I was also referring specifically to the mapper about the bloat. If you actually read the thread, you'd see that after having updated and used the mapper, I've been having loading issues. Are you saying that I somehow used THEIR client buttons wrong to use the mapper? I have also complimented the development of Mudlet multiple times in this thread!

I also didn't ask how experienced anyone was here, and nobody certainly asked how experienced I was! I've only been a hobby programmer for 17 years now. I've never done anything professional, nor have I done any great works or big projects like this, but I'd like to think that after having been using Mudlet under this current profile for a month, and have experienced this profile and everything in relation to it, and have actually experienced the crashes that I reported, and that I know how many loops I have that could become infinite (only two) that aren't anyway and also are not part of any triggers (just aliases) and that those aliases are not associated with my crashing, and that I had crashes in the first 24 hours of use WITHOUT the use of any triggers or aliases, along with my 17 years of every now and then programming practices, that I'm fairly certain that the crashing is NOTHING I'm doing wrong (with the exception of expandAlias which I've never used for any scripts but only played with and have resolved anyway).

EDIT - Also, saying that I wasn't being informative? Did you even read anything at all? I clearly said that my crashing is in relation to attempts to sending to the server. The fact that I stated "the server never gets the message" means that it isn't a trigger doing it. The fact that I said "any message", which means even things that aren't aliases means that it IS NOT an alias doing it. That is pretty informative in assisting to narrow it down. Instead of taking my information and using it, I am being blamed. So, how do triggers fire and make crashes when they don't receive a line and how do aliases fire and make crashes when they aren't used? Sounds pretty difficult to me, maybe we need the big shots of Mudlet to claim that somehow those are triggering and making me crash instead.

And if you want social pleasantries, go somewhere else. I'm not here to please you, or kiss ass.
Last edited by Fo-Rum on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fo-Rum

Post by Fo-Rum »

I used this, and had it delete all map files. The load times are still long! I don't mind a longer than usual load time, I just think it sucks that it can lockup doing it sometimes. It really isn't a long load time, I am just comparing it to what it used to be (instant). It can take anywhere from 3 to 10 seconds, and on the longer ones that don't lock up the profile menu typically doesn't go away until I minimize and maximize the screen again (although there is activity in the MUD window that I can see and interact with).

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Delete profiles too. Otherwise, GUI elements take time to create, having many will take time to create after you pressed Connect.

Fo-Rum

Post by Fo-Rum »

Vadi wrote:Delete profiles too. Otherwise, GUI elements take time to create, having many will take time to create after you pressed Connect.
I did, I just didn't think it was relevant to mention that since the default Lusternia profile which I haven't been using, so it wouldn't have over 2000 (or even 5) profiles, is also having the same load issues. As I mentioned, only the two Lusternia profiles are doing this!