ctrl+v should be keep linebreaks, ctrl+shift+v strip them
57%
ctrl+v should strip linebreaks, ctrl+shift+v should keep them
43%

Total votes: 7

Vadi

ctrl+shift+v

Post by Vadi »

I'd like to introduce an alternative paste that strips all formatting - ala ctrl+shift+v in modern text processors/browsers/etc that accept rich text on ctrl+v, but strip it down for ctrl+shift+v.

The need for it is there because Mudlet by default preserves linebreaks, which can make it a pain to copy/paste a line back into the game - you have to strip linebreaks. So, ctrl+shift+v would suit this job perfectly. It would also trip out the "smart" quotes that MUDs typically don't accept.

However, we can take this one step further and make ctrl+v be the plain paste, and ctrl+shift+v make the fancy paste - reversing their roles, because unlike a text processor/browser, MUDs primarily work with plain text, not fancy text. This however does have the disadvantage of doing reverse of what people are normally accustomed to, but it'll make most of the pasting simpler since you don't have to press an extra key all the time.

I'd like to get peoples opinions on what they think should happen. When voting, please keep in mind what you'd consider most convenient and of those new to Mudlet as well.

Phoenix

Re: ctrl+shift+v

Post by Phoenix »

Something I'd like to see before this, would be a copy from the buffer that respects the linebreaks as the MUD had them... Talked to someone about this before, and they said it looked like it would be a few simple changes in the code. Same could be done for moving the cursor/selecting the line... IE, just make the mudlet-introduced breaks show in the output, but don't have them in the actual buffer....

Kinda fuzzy on how to explain it, but this would be a far better change than a new paste.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I don't see how would that be better default behavior.

Rakon

Post by Rakon »

As it stands, if I copy from the buffer (via highlighting the text, right click-> copy or CTRL+C) and then paste to somewhere else (text editor, trigger, IM window) the line breaks from the buffer are pasted along with it. Phoenix is suggesting that the link breaks are copied from -the game- pre mudlet-wrap.

So that if I do 'look rakon' and copy my desc text then paste it somewhere, It copies that entire line, AS the one line that it is, not the 40 lines mudlet buffer shows it as.

Copied/pasted text
Reading everything on one line regardless of linebreaks in buffer.
vs
Reading everything longer than the
wrap
length ends up showing things
like this
instead of on the line it was shown as
from
the mud.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

But for someone on screenwidth 80 in the game, this would have no effect... and it would not be intuitive behavior to have things copied differently than they actually see them on the screen.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

I can see the use of what they're suggesting, honestly. The implementation of it would be needlessly difficult as I understand how the Mudlet display system works. You'd essentially have to save two different buffers, one for the screen that you see (with linebreaks done by mudlet) and another for the original format.
I don't know that the feature is worth the overhead.

Rakon

Post by Rakon »

tsuujin wrote:I can see the use of what they're suggesting, honestly. The implementation of it would be needlessly difficult as I understand how the Mudlet display system works. You'd essentially have to save two different buffers, one for the screen that you see (with linebreaks done by mudlet) and another for the original format.
I don't know that the feature is worth the overhead.
Don't need to save two buffers. Same thing that's being suggested in the poll for ctrl+v could do the same thing for crtl+c.

My major issue is that , even after highlighting text in the buffer, CTRL+C or right-click->Copy, sometimes never actually copies anything.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

ctrl+c will copy visible things on thhe screen, that's different than from that the MUD originally sent you, and then Mudlet wrapped, and then triggers modified, which is what was being suggested by Lynara.

Rakon

Post by Rakon »

Vadi wrote:ctrl+c will copy visible things on thhe screen, that's different than from that the MUD originally sent you, and then Mudlet wrapped, and then triggers modified, which is what was being suggested by Lynara.
Rakon wrote:CTRL+C or right-click->Copy, sometimes never actually copies anything.
This usually happens when I have a large amount of text highlighted (such as combat spar) and the buffer is scrolled back (IE, split) .

Highlight text.
CTRL+C
Go to scite.
CTRL+V
..... Stare at the blank Scite document

Release text.
Highlight text.
Right-click -> copy
Go to scite.
CTRL+V
..... Stare at the blank Scite document

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I'm not addressing any bugs with ctrl+c right now, I'm sorry - please take bug reports to bugs.launchpad.net. This thread is for a new feature, let's not be offtopic.

Do note that ctrl+c only works on the main window, anywhere else you need to right-click and copy (which isn't your case, but I'm saying in general).