ctrl+v should be keep linebreaks, ctrl+shift+v strip them
57%
ctrl+v should strip linebreaks, ctrl+shift+v should keep them
43%

Total votes: 7

Caled

Re: ctrl+shift+v

Post by Caled »

tsuujin wrote:ctrl+c copy is buggy at the moment, and always has been. Sometimes it looks at the input bar, othertimes it looks at what's on the screen
Psh, easy solution - look at how the Zuggsoft products deal with the problem, which is to recognise that there is never a situation where you want to highlight text in the main screen without then copying it to the clipboard. Why require the user to select "copy" at all?

In zmud/cmud, highlighting text is automatically copied to the clipboard the moment you highlight it. You can also highlight an entire line just by clicking to the left of the first character in that line. Click, alt-tab to the package editor, ctrl+v to paste. Trigger creation made easy. Honestly, the awkward highlighting of text in Mudlet is the last really annoying quirk in the client.

Ctrl+c can always point at the input line, the tricky/buggy behaviour is eliminated, and Mudlet gets yet another really useful feature.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Well tbh I've started using a clipboard manager and would love it if it wasn't spammed with useless entries every time I highlighted :/

Caled

Post by Caled »

Vadi wrote:Well tbh I've started using a clipboard manager and would love it if it wasn't spammed with useless entries every time I highlighted :/
When do you highlight in Mudlet without intention to copy? Why would you?

It's tricky highlighting anything in Mudlet, I can't imagine wanting to do it without a very specific purpose in mind, and what other purpose is there?

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Caled wrote:
Vadi wrote:Well tbh I've started using a clipboard manager and would love it if it wasn't spammed with useless entries every time I highlighted :/
When do you highlight in Mudlet without intention to copy? Why would you?

It's tricky highlighting anything in Mudlet, I can't imagine wanting to do it without a very specific purpose in mind, and what other purpose is there?
I'd say it's presumptuous to assume the habits of others. It's really hard to determine how other people use mudlet for their own ends without actually polling the userbase, and I wouldn't want to implement a usability fix that simply trades one inconvenience for another.

I think a good trade would be reworking how mudlet finds where current focus is before it copies. Have ctrl+c invoke a function that determines where last focus was and then copy selected text from that region.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

To be honest I'd prefer that apps don't modify some very standard behavior. It's better to address the issues mentioned instead. I know of only two - copying doesn't work when you've selected down the last line shown, and selection is off when you have the timers showing.

Caled

Post by Caled »

tsuujin wrote: I'd say it's presumptuous to assume the habits of others. It's really hard to determine how other people use mudlet for their own ends without actually polling the userbase, and I wouldn't want to implement a usability fix that simply trades one inconvenience for another.
Well, of course.

On the other hand, I've suggested this perhaps three times now, over the years, and no one has ever responded with "No! That would inconvenience me because:" There has been the occasional response like Vadi's, where he just doesn't like the idea of modifying standard behaviour, but no one has ever said that it would actually inconvenience them.

It has also been standard zmud behaviour since before I started playing (so pre2000) and I don't recall seeing any requests to change that behaviour on their forum, though I haven't frequented it for a few years now.

So while it IS presumptuous and it would of course need to be done after careful polling - you can certainly see why I've made the suggestion and defended it, right? I'm not suggesting it as a fix, but as a great feature which would also happen to fix an awkward bug.

Anyway, that all said, I gather no one else is particularly interested in the feature so I'll just wander off into the corner and keep quiet about it ;)

roh_bane

Post by roh_bane »

Why not just add an option (off by default) to "copy to clipboard on selection"? I quite enjoy that feature of putty.

Silvine

Post by Silvine »

So, for the simple of mind, and untechnical amongst us, how do I go about installing this super feature?

Thankyou

:D