Request for help to gather some data

demonnic

Request for help to gather some data

Post by demonnic »

hello!

We've been plugging along at Mudlet for quite some time now, and it's occurred to me that it's been some time since we did much in the way of display benchmarking, and that got me wondering... what kind of lines per second are actually encountered in the wild?

Now, it might seem an idle curiosity, but having this information could really help the team to make informed decisions down the line. For instance, how much of a performance hit might be allowable for a nifty new feature, compared to the real world kinds of spam the display is asked to cope with.

None of this is to say we won't work to ensure the display is as fast as we can make it, but without the data we're really just guessing.

You may be asking yourself, what does this have to do with me? Everything! I have tools to see how fast Mudlet can run, what I need is real life data to compare that to. And you can help me get it. All you have to do is put the following in your Mudlet command line to install the package:

Code: Select all

lua uninstallPackage("spamtabulator") installPackage("https://github.com/demonnic/spamtabulator/releases/latest/download/spamtabulator.mpackage")
Once installed, it will do absolutely nothing unless you use the "spamtab" alias, which toggles it on. Then it will quietly count lines as they come in from the game in the background, and when you use the 'spamtab' alias again, or 30 seconds have passed with no lines coming in, it will upload the results to a web endpoint I've got setup on one of my domains. The only data uploaded is the following

Code: Select all

{"linesPerSecond":7.7990855563962,"lines":4742,"timePerLine":0.12822016026993,"totalSeconds":608.02}
So anyone who is willing to help out, if you would install the spamtabulator and start using "spamtab" before your spammiest activities, whether it's PvP, group bashing, or anything else. I want you to skew those numbers as high as you possibly can, so that we have a lofty target to hit.

Thank you in advance,
demonnic

DreadPirate

Re: Request for help to gather some data

Post by DreadPirate »

Not sure if you are still looking for this information.. just saw this message today.

Just for fun, I added something to it to echo the results so I can see what my numbers were - this is what the echo ends up looking like:

Lines: 5388
LinesPerSecond: 42.433884102257
Time Per Line: 0.023566072754269
Total Time: 126.974

Also, what are you considering as a high number for lines per second?

demonnic

Post by demonnic »

That's part of what we're hoping to find out =)

The highest reported so far is ~80 lines per second, just double checked.

DreadPirate

Post by DreadPirate »

Just hit 103 lol

DreadPirate

Post by DreadPirate »

I have noticed that when it comes to speed, Tintin++ is still faster. My friend who uses Tintin++ always gets the gold laying on the ground before I do when we walk into a room. I have started adjusting some things lately in my script to speed things up... we will see what happens.