Linux Oddities

visionok

Linux Oddities

Post by visionok »

Not sure whether this is the right place for this, but:

I'm running 4.10.1 AppImage on Linux Mint 20. There are 2 issues:

1)
In all Linux systems that I have used since around KDE 2.x, you can highlight some text then use middle-button on mouse to paste the selection, or CTRL-C to copy to clipboard. Or you can run a clipboard manager and configure it to synchronise selection and clipboard. This is a very handy feature, just highlight something and middle-click to paste, or CTRL-V to paste. No need to CTRL-C then CTRL-V.

Unfortunately in mudlet, highlighting some text does not push it to the selection. Which means after highlighting text you need to explicitly CTRL-C to copy to clipboard, except that CTRL-C for some reason is bit of a hit and miss, sometimes it gets copied and sometimes it doesn't. To ensure that text does get copied to clipboard it's necessary to right-click and select COPY.

It would be great if mudlet can work like other programs in this respect.

2)
Again, on all Linux systems that I have used since forever, ALT + left click and drag performs the move window operation.

But ALT + left click and drag combo is supposed to be the method to pan around the map (according to a video I saw), which doesn't work because it moves the mudlet window instead. Can that be changed to something different like CTRL + left click? Or even better (I think) have scroll bars instead of the arrow buttons.

Also the arrow buttons that you can click to pan around the map are very sensitive, if you click on them multiple times too rapidly the maps shoots way off to one direction, then you either have to click on the opposite arrow, slowly one click at a time, for quite a long time, or do a "look" or "move" so the map re-centres itself.

Finally, when selecting or deselecting rooms on the map, you have to click twice (and make sure to pause in between clicks otherwise it might do a speedwalk). It's the same when you do a click-drag to highlight multiple rooms, you have click release, wait a fraction of second, then click-drag. Is this something that can be fixed?

Thanks!

Vadi

Re: Linux Oddities

Post by Vadi »

Hi,

1) This will now work in 4.11.1 for you.

2) I can't say I have the same experience, been using Linux for over a decade and alt+left click does not move the window. Maybe it's a KDE thing? Mudlet is developed primarily on Linux - judging from the main contributors - and alt+drag is a setup that works well.

Arrow buttons to move around, as well as the selection, would be great to be mentioned over at https://github.com/Mudlet/Mudlet/issues/new - along with a video showing how it's an issue for you specifically.

Thanks for the feedback!

visionok

Post by visionok »

1) Yep, it works in 4.11.1

2) Admittedly I have been mostly using KDE. But tried on an Ubuntu based XFCE system that I have lying around and ALT + left click drag does the same as in KDE, ie drags the window around.

The good news is that the other problems I mentioned have been fixed:

a) clicking the arrow keys too fast makes the map shoot off to one direction, has been fixed. Now no matter how fast I click the buttons the map just moves 1 step per click. But now there's an issue in that the "arrows" are not displayed properly
mapper_arrows.png
mapper_arrows.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 15738 times
b) now it's no longer necessary to click twice to select/deselect rooms, which make interacting with the mapper much more productive ;)

Thanks for a great update!

xabre

Post by xabre »

Yes Alt+L Click for moving windows in X11 has been a thing for decades, but recently Gnome switched to Meta(Super or Win key) + LClick for same action, which was needed for Wayland comptibility.
(quick check: same thing on KDE Plasma too, Left Meta + Left Click is now used for moving active window)

Same goes for muddle button select/paste, they had to basically reinvent hot water there.
Yes, it's done for the sake of Wayland, but it influences X11 too (AppImages always work in X11 mode).

On top of it, different environments do it differently.
In other words: fun.

visionok

Post by visionok »

visionok wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:42 pm
b) now it's no longer necessary to click twice to select/deselect rooms
After having played with it a bit more, the above is partly true. AFAICT you don't have to click twice IF the mapper doesn't "lose focus". Doing something like right-click to bring up the context menu will cause the mapper to "lose focus" (it doesn't matter whether you selected any actions on that menu).

So sadly in practice it is effectively the same as v4.10.1. Because the whole point of selecting rooms in the mapper is that you want to perform an operation on them, which means using the right-click to get the menu, which causes mapper to "lose focus", which means if you want to select a different set of rooms you need to click twice.

Also there is a difference in behaviour between 4.11.1 and 4.10.1 when more than one room occupies the same coordinates:

In 4.10.1 you could click in the box that pops up when you have more than one room selected to deselect one or more rooms, then hover back over the remaining selected room(s) to right-click and perform an action.

In 4.11.1 when you hover back over the remaining selected room(s) and right-click to perform an action, the right-click will reselect all the rooms again. I'm guessing that this behaviour may be related to the click twice quirk as detailed above. The work-around is to not right-click on the selected rooms but instead right-click on an empty area.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

To pan the map in KDE on Linux (and FreeBSD BTW) try <Alt>+<Ctrl>+mouse move... Mudlet doesn't pick up on the extra <Ctrl> modifier but the DE does and ignores the <Alt> one leaving the mouse movement to be used by Mudlet! :o

visionok

Post by visionok »

Yeah that works, thanks!