[Revised] Advisory for those who have NEVER posted to this forum

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

[Revised] Advisory for those who have NEVER posted to this forum

Post by SlySven »

Now that we have updated the forum and anti-spamBot measures it is finally time to clear out the long list of probable Bots from the member-ship list - of the "6457 users" at the time of writing I suspect that around 50% of that number are from identities that never intended to post any constructive content to these Forums but were solely to enable their operators to put up website URLs where the (wanted) Search Engine Bots including Baidu, Bing and Google could see them and note them down so they would return them as "popular" and thus likely to be useful "links" {part of the dubious process called Search Engine Optimisation which aims to get websites and the products they endorse more highly ranked in search engine results}.

So please note that at some time after Monday 31st AugustJuly 23:00 UTC it is our intention to delete the accounts for users that fall into the combination of ALL these conditions:
  • Joined after 2014/12/31 UTC Forum DateTime.
  • Joined before 2017/07/25 UTC Forum DateTime.
  • have NO posts recorded anywhere on the forum boards themselves - i.e. their "Posts" count is 0 (zero).
Should you have signed up in the recent past I would urge you to make a contribution to the forum which will prove that you are a real person - if you do not have anything specific to say you can post something to this topic: [New Members send a Reply Here!] About us which I started for this purpose.

If you are reading this at some point in the future and you are wondering why you can no longer log into the Forums, you fit into the conditions listed above and you used to be a member - this may be why. :o

In that case may I say, "Sorry, it was because you did seem not to be active here!", and can I kindly request that you re-register - since your old account is no more you should be able to reuse your old account name for a new one without too much trouble. ;)

Edited: 2017/08/01 00:37 UTC - I got the month wrong, I meant to give a week's notice (and I won't be around at the end of August anyhow)

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: [Revised] Advisory for those who have NEVER posted to this forum

Post by SlySven »

Right - this operation has now been carried out and the winnowing should have purged all users that may have been Spam Bots as far back as 1 January 2015. If, by any chance you were a member but had not ever posted anything to the Forums and thus got caught up in this purge then I would ask that you not take it personally but please consider rejoining and contributing something, anything, to here so that we can tell you are a real human being.

Hopefully the new, anti-Bot measures will hold back the flood this time around so that this system remains a useful resource for those wanting to use a MUD Client that is offered to you at a great price; hopefully you will find it so good you will want to give it to all your friends and relations - under the terms of the GPL that is just what you can do... :lol: