Mudlet wiki organization

Vadi

Mudlet wiki organization

Post by Vadi »

We're definitely getting a wiki now. Would some of the more experienced wiki admins suggest some organization strategies we could use in it? As in - what should be on the homepage, any tag names and etc. Just want to see some ideas that we could go forward with.

Omni

Re: Mudlet wiki organization

Post by Omni »

While I'm not an experienced wiki admin, it'd be good to look how other wikis are done. They have featured articles every now and then, a breakdown of sections. It'd be nice to breakdown all the functions according to what they're best used for: display functions, debugging functions, mapper functions, string functions, table functions, etc. That's what I was trying to do with the new look for the function list. My thoughts so far.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Honestly, I'd lay it out less like wikipedia and more like a functional website. This would give us the power to easily contribute to and modify information but also give the normal user a browsing experience that is less cluttered than the typical wiki.

In a perfect world, I'd keep it professional and to the point (keeping away from personal user comments and the bickering that social media tends to form) but that's not entirely realistic. Maybe require some kind of registration verification to be able to edit files?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Okay. We'll probably ask Sanko then to handle the organization of it, as he's worked with that before.

I agree with the sentiments of keeping it clean, but let's try it without registration first. Should it become a problem, then we can enforce it (like we did with captchas here).

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

The wiki is now available at wiki.mudlet.org. I'm not sure if the default permissions allow creation of pages - you'll find that they don't, let me know.

Yetzederixx

Post by Yetzederixx »

I had no problem creating a page, but I haven't been able to figure out how to add graphics yet. Have to find time to find the help files I guess.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I don't know either, but maybe http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Ima ... aded_files can help - located it after browsing around a bit.

Yetzederixx

Post by Yetzederixx »

So I follow there instructions and create a commons account, which is for some odd reason different from the mudlet wiki one, and uploaded a file. Then I go back to the Mudlet wiki and try to add the image and get told that there isn't a pic by that name and would I like to load one, so I click upload of course and am told that file uploads are disabled for the wiki. Gonna need to fix that for tutorials if nothing else.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Err... don't upload to the commons wiki, upload to the Mudlet wiki! Commons wiki is a wiki for the software that runs wikipedia

Yetzederixx

Post by Yetzederixx »

Damn I knew I wasn't clear enough in my report.

I had tried to upload to our wiki after I was told the file I uploaded to the Commons wasn't there and I figured out I did it wrong.

http://wiki.mudlet.org/w/Keybindings
That will take you to the article I did, click on the File:Keys button.jpg link
Then click the upload one link and you'll see what I mean