Display Issues

Darmir

Display Issues

Post by Darmir »

Vadi,
I have been playing around with CoffeeMud 5.9.5 the last few days and I want to use Mudlet for my client of choice, but I have noticed that when I try create a character using Mudlet some of the line data doesn't show up on the screen unless I hit enter, then the rest of the information shows up for the next selection. This doesn't happen with MushClient or other clients. Is there a way I can trouble shoot this, because I want Mudlet to be the recommended client for my mud I am creating with CoffeeMud.
I think Mudlet is adding extra returns.

20170413.1618.24 debug CoffeeFilter OUTPUT: : 'Richard' does not exist. Is this a new character you would like to create (y/N)?

But in mudlet it shows a character return after each sentence. I guess the best way to test is to download the CoffeeMud code and just run a temp server on windows and you can see what is happening then compare it to another mud client.

Jor'Mox

Re: Display Issues

Post by Jor'Mox »

Mudlet often does weird things if it things it is working with a MUD that provides a GA signal. There are ways to suppress that behavior in Mudlet, and presumably ways to avoid the issue from the game's end of things.

Darmir

Post by Darmir »

Jor'Mox wrote:Mudlet often does weird things if it things it is working with a MUD that provides a GA signal. There are ways to suppress that behavior in Mudlet, and presumably ways to avoid the issue from the game's end of things.
And how do you do that? I went into setting for all GA to test if those were causing the issues and it still is not showing the line correctly.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

In Settings, in the Main Display tab, there is an option at the bottom "Fix unnecessary linebreaks on GA servers", and in the Special Options tab, there is "Force telnet GA signal interpretation off". Other than that, I don't really know. It may be something else, just figured I'd chime in, in case it was something simple. Otherwise... Vadi may well have the answer.

Darmir

Post by Darmir »

Vadi,
I think I figured out the issue. Jor'Mox was correct. I had to go into the special options and check Force telnet GA signal interpretation off. On the tab it says this is for some older MUD drivers. So what would the MUD developer need to change in their driver so users don't need to click this option in Mudlet.
I think the developer of CoffeeMud would like to know about this.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

It would require debugging between CoffeeMUD and Mudlet to see where things to wrong. GA is an option you'd want to have when playing a lot of MUDs because it lets Mudlet know when the MUD is done sending data, so Mudlet can display it - otherwise Mudlet has to rely on the less reliable newlines in order to do so.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Sorry haven't got the answer for you right now, but you're welcome to look into it if you'd like.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

One obvious answer is to just have CoffeeMUD not use GA signals at all. Otherwise, either Mudlet is handling GA signals incorrectly, or CoffeeMUD is sending GA signals incorrectly.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

GA in general is a good thing and is on by default on all IREs - so that implementation is well tested. With coffeemud, not as much. Still, doesn't rule out an issue on either side.