Mudlet 3.0.0 final is available!

cluelesscoder

Re: Mudlet 3.0.0 final is available!

Post by cluelesscoder »

fyi, running OSX 10.11.5 with Mudlet 3.0.1, the display freaked out and I couldn't click anything - the text from the MUD started showing up in all my other windows which overlayed on it, and so on. Hard to describe and it was rather difficult to do anything, including getting out of it, so I couldn't make a screencast or screenshot. So I'm sticking with Mudlet 2.1 for now which works great for me. :)

Thanks for the work!

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I'm afraid that doesn't give us a lot of information to work on :(

cluelesscoder

Post by cluelesscoder »

Is there a log somewhere that I could copy and paste? Couldn't find anything about that in e.g. http://wiki.mudlet.org/w/Known_Issues#R ... udlet_bugs

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Were you connected to a MUD server at the time - so that it was something from there that provoked the issue, if so, how quickly did the problem manifest itself?

If you can click on the tape-cassette icon in the bottom button bar that will start a recording of the MUD output which can be uploaded to here / on an Issue raised on our GitHub site so that it can be replayed on another instance of Mudlet (and if that is being run in a debugging environment it can be examined to see where Mudlet is going wrong.) Note that you ought not to include the logging in process to the server as the replay could include your log-in details for the MUD (your character's password) - you can stop the recording by pressing the same button (which will carry an addition red cross to indicate that pressing it will STOP the current recording)...

If you need further help to do this please reply here...

cluelesscoder

Post by cluelesscoder »

I highly doubt that the MUD server caused this issue. I am a professional programmer - I don't see text from a terminal could basically crash my entire display.

When I mentioned logs, I was thinking logs of Mudlet. Stack traces and such. That seems much more likely to be valuable.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

It's the same way you'd make stack traces of any other app - attach a debugger to Mudlet. I think the most difficult thing in this case would be reproducing the problem.

cluelesscoder

Post by cluelesscoder »

Hmm. It might be worth considering a default file to log exceptions and errors without attaching a debugger so that users can attach a log when they notice something weird... I generally work on web applications, and error logging is a pretty big part of how we monitor for quality.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Such output is written to stdout, so launching Mudlet from the command line would reveal it. C++ applications can't really log their own stacktraces unless there's a debugger involved, though.

cluelesscoder

Post by cluelesscoder »

Good to know - if I use Mudlet 3 again I will run it from the CLI.