Mudlet 3.0.0 final is available!

Vadi

Mudlet 3.0.0 final is available!

Post by Vadi »

Mudlet 3.0.0 final is here! After four years of iterations and improvements, it is finally here.

[/size]

[/size]

Please provide all feedback and problem reports on 3.0.0 here! Feature requests can be done in our dedicated thread.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Mudlet 3.0.0 final is available!

Post by SlySven »

One small niggle is that we, um, did not change the default format for the maps that Mudlet 3.0.0 release uses by, default. This means that the new area and map user data features, which require a format later than the previous 2.1 release uses (identified, with a number, as: 16) cannot be saved. Recent preview versions, like the release version can be set to save data in a format newer than that (up to 18) but unlike the preview versions - which were intended to test the map/area user data and other features - the 3.0.0 Release is set to reject anything later than it's "default" as under the anticipated scheme of things it would not get them. :oops:

Also, the way that the Mudlet Map system keeps track of which rooms are in which area was revised to be faster - but different and that is reflected in how it is stored in a Map file. To ensure backwards compatibility older version files are converted and checked as they are loaded (and saved) which will make the process a little slower than it could be when the new code/format is used.

The bottom line is that until we can roll-out a replacement (anticipated to be a couple of weeks to allow for any other immediate issues to surface):
  • you can only load in map files into the release 3.0.0 version of Mudlet that would still be compatible with the previous 2.1 release.
  • Map and Area User Data cannot be saved between sessions in a Mudlet Map (the existing Room User Data is not affected).
  • Loading and saving of Maps may not be quite as fast as it will be when we can get a fixed version out.
I hope that this will not stop the enjoyment that we trust you will derive from an application has had many person-hours of development work done by enthusiastic, unpaid, volunteers. :D

Nyyrazzilyss

Post by Nyyrazzilyss »

Thanks!

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Someone found a relatively serious bug in 3.0.0. In the Mac OS version, trying to save a variable by using the Variables tab and checking the box next to the variables name results in the Mudlet profile failing to open and crashing Mudlet.

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

That sounds odd. Do they still have that .xml file in their profile's "current" sub-directory. They should be able to recover by selecting the previous file on the Connection Profile dialog but I am able to save and load variables fine so I wonder what is going on - is it repeatable and is there any significance to the particular variable they are trying to save/load? They may if they wish, PM the file to me and I will see if there is any obvious cause for it to cause a crash - also, I'm not sure how things work on MacOS, but is it possible to run Mudlet from a CLI and catch any (debug) text output at the point when it crashes?

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

SlySven wrote:That sounds odd. Do they still have that .xml file in their profile's "current" sub-directory. They should be able to recover by selecting the previous file on the Connection Profile dialog but I am able to save and load variables fine so I wonder what is going on - is it repeatable and is there any significance to the particular variable they are trying to save/load? They may if they wish, PM the file to me and I will see if there is any obvious cause for it to cause a crash - also, I'm not sure how things work on MacOS, but is it possible to run Mudlet from a CLI and catch any (debug) text output at the point when it crashes?
I was able to recreate the problem myself, using an insignificant variable that I created via the command line (lua tmp = "test") specifically for the purpose of testing the problem. Also, when you have Mudlet connect automatically to a given profile on startup, there is no opportunity to select a different version of your profile, so you have to find and delete the file manually. I don't know if the person originally reporting the problem has any documentation, but I have a copy of the crash log that I received, as well as a copy of the relevant XML (with some login related info blanked out). They can be downloaded from my dropbox, here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/os4rsj3ll294h ... t.txt?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ufcj74o15viq ... 9.xml?dl=0

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

That crash report looks useful - I'll see how it works on my (GNU/Linux) platform and see whether there is an obvious (uninitialised pointer?) issue...

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

For those who are interested, and don't want to dig through the XML, here is the entirety of the Variables section from it.
Code: [show] | [select all] lua
    <VariablePackage>
        <HiddenVariables/>
        <Variable>
            <name>tmp</name>
            <keyType>4</keyType>
            <value>test</value>
            <valueType>4</valueType>
        </Variable>
    </VariablePackage>

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Going through my mapping script stuff, trying to update to take advantage of 3.0... and there are a few issues that I'm noticing.

The first is that the setDoors function (which now supports doors in up, down, in, and out directions, thank you), doesn't allow the use of the shortened directions for up and down ('u' and 'd'), but requires it for the directions it supported previously. This is mostly just an inconsistency, but it would be nice to stick to a single standard.

The second is that the getAllRoomEntrances function does NOT return an indexed list as indicated in the wiki (which says it should be just like getRoomExits), and instead just returns a list of room IDs that have exits leading into it, with no indication of where those exits come from, which would be especially useful if that entrance is via a special exit. Not necessarily a bug, but it is certainly irritating.

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

Those door directions might be being clobbered by a lua wrapper external to the C++ core (or the internal dirToNumber/dirToString functions in TLuaInterpreter) I'll have to take a look but it might be awkward to fix and keep everybody's stuff working... :sad:

IIRC the getAllRoomEntrances function was going to have an optional second boolean argument to provide some sort of "nested" table, perhaps with outer keys being the rooms that had exits to the specified rooms and value being an indexed table (i.e. "list") of the exit directions concerned. I will also have to see what happened to that.