Converting MUSH to Mudlet

Dontarion

Converting MUSH to Mudlet

Post by Dontarion »

MUSHclient is royally pissing me off right now. I decided to see if Mudlet is able to handle a system like mine as I already know it has the better GUI capabilities.

EDIT: The new version of MUSH is getting me killed constantly from crashing.

General statistics:
3000-4000 lines of code just in Lua functions.
1500 triggers (500-1000+ triggers enabled at any given time)
400 aliases
0 heartbeat timers

One of the Lua functions operates as an affliction sandbox and is 1000 lines long. Everytime I get an affliction this function is called. Will Mudlet be capable of handling this or will it fall like zMud?

I saw on the MUSH forums via Google that someone there had a Mudlet -> MUSH script but does anyone have a MUSH -> Mudlet script? I really don't feel like writing 1500 triggers. I'm already going to have to recode quite a bit from the special functions MUSH had.

Vadi

Re: Converting MUSH to Mudlet

Post by Vadi »

Mudlet is more capable than MUSHclient from what people say. My all-Mudlet m&m system profile has 3940 total triggers, of which 3732 are active right now. m&m total code lines alone is ~40k, and that doesn't include all the scripts I have for my own offensive. A single line takes ~0.005s to process given all of this.

Me and Naftali posted a script that made some MUSH functions be available in Mudlet (by emulating what they do).

In regards to the xmls themselves - not really, although I do have a small script that can convert some aliases in triggers to Mudlet xmls. Developed it while porting a MUSH script and didn't do much with it after. If you want I'll give it, you could update it more so it handles more situations and the script will grow in functionality with each such porting.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I'd recommend that you not start porting your system full-time right away though. Unlike the popular opinion on MUSH forums, Mudlet does bring in a lot of innovations - especially in the trigger engine, and allows for a lot of optimization strategies. It'd be a pity to port the system while not taking advantage of possible optimizations.

Dontarion

Post by Dontarion »

Vadi wrote:I'd recommend that you not start porting your system full-time right away though. Unlike the popular opinion on MUSH forums, Mudlet does bring in a lot of innovations - especially in the trigger engine, and allows for a lot of optimization strategies. It'd be a pity to port the system while not taking advantage of possible optimizations.
You're going to make me cry and try to port over my system.

I'll need to read about your triggers because trying to make a test one for me to make a script to do it looked a bit daunting with all the sub lines if you don't know what each portion does.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Not exactly sure what to do you mean. I'd recommend to watch the newbie videos on mudlet.org/media to start, and click the live help button to go to the chatroom - I'll be there for the next few hours.

Thorr686

Post by Thorr686 »

Well, I found a pretty nifty way of converting all my stuff from Mush to mudlet, using microsoft word, and alot of regex find and replace tricks. wasnt easy but i got it.