Mapper now able to map non IRE MUDs

Heiko
Site Admin

Re: Mapper now able to map non IRE MUDs

Post by Heiko »

1.2.0-pre7 has the necessary API to change the map into anything you like, merging areas, relocating rooms, adding rooms, exits etc..

A pure graphics widget with a low level drawing API is certainly still missing in Mudlet and will be added in the future.

Iocun

Post by Iocun »

Nice! On both accounts.

Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Downloaded and bumbling through trying to get it to work ;)

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

There's no automatic map reorganization when 2 rooms have the same coordinates at this point so you'll have to do this manually yourself. To get a table with all rooms in an area: getAreaRooms(areaID) and to get the room coordinates: x,y,z=getRoomCoordinates(roomID)

Otherwise you'll have to wait a few days until this is implemented. It's very high on my list. For your script you'll want to use the getPath( startRoomID, targetRoomID ) that will return a table with the room ids that have to be passed to get to the target. Note that one way exits are not covered by the pathfinding algorithm at the moment.

Omit

Post by Omit »

I had a thought and am unlikely to do anything with it on my own.
Playing with my own mapper (graphic and ASCII) the ASCII map works extremely well, even for large areas...
My thought was this... A custom font that includes a set of standard symbols for "drawing" a map (one char for each combination of exits in a room). A miniconsole could then be used for the map, room colors controled by the foreground color, and your location with the background color. For someone capable of creating a custom font, this would take a little time but would be very doable and then include it with mudlet (and perhaps allow the mapping char to be used to be saved with the map)

Maybe the idea is half-baked but I thought I would throw it out there.

Omit

Link to a mapping font, Maybe not this font... but this is the idea
I also like the idea to add an ascii map interface to the mapper because it fits nicely into the game and it's what most people are being used to.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Up/down and in/out exits are now being displayed like this:
academy5.png
Started work on automatic room relocation when 2 different rooms have the same map coordinates. Thus, making room for the newly added room without changing the connected structures on the rest of the map. These map errors are quite common.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Omit wrote:I had a thought and am unlikely to do anything with it on my own.
Playing with my own mapper (graphic and ASCII) the ASCII map works extremely well, even for large areas...
My thought was this... A custom font that includes a set of standard symbols for "drawing" a map (one char for each combination of exits in a room). A miniconsole could then be used for the map, room colors controled by the foreground color, and your location with the background color. For someone capable of creating a custom font, this would take a little time but would be very doable and then include it with mudlet (and perhaps allow the mapping char to be used to be saved with the map)

Maybe the idea is half-baked but I thought I would throw it out there.

Omit

Link to a mapping font, Maybe not this font... but this is the idea
I also like the idea to add an ascii map interface to the mapper because it fits nicely into the game and it's what most people are being used to.
I like the idea of a traditional ASCII map viewer and it has always been planned to be included. Shipping fonts is no problem if they are GPL compatible.

syrik

Post by syrik »

Ok, so I will have to write my own scripts to map, or will there be a script posted/built in that allows basic mapping when the final 2.0 comes out?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Yes, it's already available as well (for IRE muds)

syrik

Post by syrik »

ah, ok, I don't play any IRE muds, so kinda skip over posts about them, thank you!