2D, 3D and grid mode views
Attachments
academy4.png
academy3.png
academy2.png

tsuujin

Re: Mapper now able to map non IRE MUDs

Post by tsuujin »

I'm eagerly awaiting the API release on the new functions.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Here's the script. You need to enable GMCP -> preferences.
You need latest git for this to run. I'll upload a new windows version tomorrow and I've asked ixokai if he can build a new mac version and he's said that he'll get it out tonight.

Mac version later tonight available here: http://ixokai.io/get/Mudlet-mac-LATEST.zip It will still be labled pre-6 but it's really pre7.
Attachments
aardwolf_mapper_demo.xml
(9.92 KiB) Downloaded 843 times

Omit

Post by Omit »

Soo many questions... doubtful I will be installing the pre-release (using ubuntu on a marginal machine and not sure it's up to the task, is there an easy way for me to play with this a little?)

Is there a way to handle movement failures?(locked doors, guards blocking the way)
Is there a mechanism to recover from a failure (falling off a cliff to a new area. random room changes, .....)?
How extendable is the data (can additional user information be recorded with the room?)
Can it handle hidden exits?
I'm sure I will think of more....
I did download it and took a look at the scripting in the client... very pretty.(although it did not tell me anything I really wanted to know :))

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Those questions aren't valid because all of the core mapper logic is to be done yourself in Lua. So however it's done...

Omit

Post by Omit »

got it....

but that still leaves one valid question

How extendable is the data (can additional user information be recorded with the room?)
to be used for notes, perhaps commands only valid for that room, a single char to be used by an ascii map, commands available is you click on the room in the map, whatever.... (just brain storming, I like it and once it is "released" I will most likely use it)

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

not at all at the moment

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Omit wrote:How extendable is the data (can additional user information be recorded with the room?)
to be used for notes, perhaps commands only valid for that room, a single char to be used by an ascii map, commands available is you click on the room in the map, whatever.... (just brain storming, I like it and once it is "released" I will most likely use it)
The next things I'll add:

- up/down/in/out exit markers to the 2D view plus a button that gets you to the 2D view directly. Currently you have to get down to 1 level display depth + top view.

- special exits like "enter portal" etc. and enable the use of one direction only exits in pathfinding.

- direct access to an SQL database to easily store information like room description, notes, denizens, items that you can get there etc.. I can't store this kind of information in RAM as it takes too much memory on large maps. Diku MUD based MUDs, IRE MUDs and similar have comparatively small maps because they are node based and not grid based. Grid based maps (LP/LD driver based MUDs) tend to get huge and there's lots of these MUDs.

More suggestions are welcome.

Iocun

Post by Iocun »

I'm really looking forward to a good 2D view. I have my troubles working with the 3D.

One thing I would definitely enjoy is if the mapper could be used simply for -drawing- rooms and ignoring the actual -mapping- component, i.e. giving us the option of designing our own map storage in whatever way we want and simply give us functions to draw room squares/cubes and exit connectors at certain coordinates (preferably in whatever colours etc. we specify).

That's simply because I like to have as much control as possible over what my client does, what I want to store in a map, how I want to store it, etc. And all "internal" aspects of a mapper are perfectly codeable in Lua - the only thing that's missing is the drawing-rooms part.

Unless those things are already possible. Can't say I'm perfectly acquainted with the mapper yet!