Mapper now able to map non IRE MUDs

tsuujin

Re: Mapper now able to map non IRE MUDs

Post by tsuujin »

I love the up/down arrows on the rooms, but I have a small comment on them:

Sometimes they're very difficult to read against the background color. I have a very hard time seeing some of them, while others are clearly visible. I'd suggest a color inversion which would make the arrows highly visible.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

syrik wrote:Ok, so I will have to write my own scripts to map, or will there be a script posted/built in that allows basic mapping when the final 2.0 comes out?
When the mapper is finished it will offer a generic walk-and-map mode that will work on any MUD. This means, it will track your moves and draw a naive map based on your walking directions.

However, if you want higher quality maps, better map error detection and more specific speed walk abilities that make full use of your knowledge of your particular MUD you'll need to write your own scripts or download a script package for your MUD. The difficulty level of such scripts will be low and there will be examples of several typical MUD types. Basically, it's about setting up a few triggers to teach the mapper how to get information about rooms, i.e. detect exits and room ID. The latter requires some trigger to extract the room description, room title etc.. This information will be stored in a data base and is used by the mapper to detect which room you are in. If your MUD supports modern ATCP or GMCP protocols, you won't even need these triggers.

Lastly, you'll need to set up triggers that detect if your move failed e.g. there is a wall in the way, no such exit, you are too tired etc..

There will be some sort of GUI support that will allow you to change the map i.e. link rooms, add exits or relocate rooms.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

tsuujin wrote:I love the up/down arrows on the rooms, but I have a small comment on them:

Sometimes they're very difficult to read against the background color. I have a very hard time seeing some of them, while others are clearly visible. I'd suggest a color inversion which would make the arrows highly visible.
added to my todo list

syrik

Post by syrik »

Ok, thanks again Heiko

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Heiko wrote:
tsuujin wrote:I love the up/down arrows on the rooms, but I have a small comment on them:

added to my todo list
Actually, I was thinking something similar could be done for in/out exits. Perhaps arrows on the left and right of icon to indicate in and out respectively? The arrows could be scaled down slightly and a gap put between them so the room environment color could still be clearly seen on a room that has in, out, up and down exits.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Are the circles that are being used for this purpose too hard to see?

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Heiko wrote:Are the circles that are being used for this purpose too hard to see?
Going to have to say yes, because I didn't even realize they exist!

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

academy6step3.png
Been working on automatic map reorganization to make up for map errors in the MUD. This is still a work in progress.

Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Very pleased with how progress seems to be coming, look forward to testing this out.

Omit

Post by Omit »

Icarus wrote:Very pleased with how progress seems to be coming, look forward to testing this out.
Me too...
when will this be released for those of us that don't want to compile it ourselves?