Rethinking the script dialog.

tsuujin

Rethinking the script dialog.

Post by tsuujin »

First thing: what follows is a rather large request.

As it stands right now, you have multiple buttons at the top of the Mudlet window that take you directly to a certain aspect of your system. Triggers, Aliases, Scripts, Timers, Keys, etc. This is reflected in the dialog itself. However, as my system has grown I've noticed a frustrating trend in this: it's distracting to try and code one system while switching back and forth between windows. It also seems a bit frustrating to have one folder represented multiple times in the different dialogs.

What I would like to see happen is all the aspects merge into one main window, and the button functionality change to toggle the visibility of certain aspects on and off. If you wanted to see only triggers, disable the other buttons. If you wanted to see everything, activate all the buttons.

What this would do is allow people scripting public use systems to consolidate everything into literally one folder. It would make organizing easy, because you wouldn't have to switch back and forth to see where everything is. Your logical ordering would be all together in one nice little package clearly visible with a single glance. This would, of course, entail tagging each element with an icon representing what it is, but that wouldn't bother me in the least.

Vadi

Re: Rethinking the script dialog.

Post by Vadi »

It's a bit hard to tell whenever you want the script editor intergrated into the main mudlet window, or have all triggers, alises, etc. be represented in one treeview.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Vadi wrote:It's a bit hard to tell whenever you want the script editor intergrated into the main mudlet window, or have all triggers, alises, etc. be represented in one treeview.
You could always nest folders if the package was large enough to be confusing without a structure, which is what I do.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I find the separation to be convenient because these things are semantically different things. Triggers are different from aliases and scripts. I can go back and forth between them, and my position of where I was before will stay the same - since I also don't put code in triggers but just function calls, the window design really helps my abstraction. Plus, when going through a list of items, the right side doesn't drastically change for each one but stays consistent. The Nexus client has a similar way of bunching things together, and imho I like the new way better.

Like other things though, the popular opinion is welcome here.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

well, that being said, it'd also be nice to drop an option in where clicking on a button activates only that set. If you combined that with a small function to hide folders with nothing visible showing the functionality would be nearly exactly the same as it is now, while allowing people like me to have it our way too.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Can you do a mockup of your idea? I can't quite picture what do you mean, sorry.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

No problem. I'll draw something up for you when I get a chance.