Mudlet Mapper preview

Heiko
Site Admin

Re: Mudlet Mapper preview

Post by Heiko »

The current mapper.xml is obviously buggy. It throws this missing variable initialization error:

[ERROR:] object:<> function:<doSpeedWalk>
<[string "speedWalkWatch = createStopWatch()..."]:79: attempt to index field 'settings' (a nil value)>

kevutian

Post by kevutian »

Thanks for the feedback, though it means little to me. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or does the problem lie with Aetolia? I am assuming you are referring to the xml that is downloaded, yes?

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Ignore my above posting. In any case I'll look into this issue and I'll provide a new Mudlet update as soon as I've finished the new lua global loading code.

kevutian

Post by kevutian »

Understood. Thanks, again.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Updated mapper xml to workaround for Aetolia bug, update to:

http://drop.io/mudlet_mapper

Delete all Mudlet Mapper folders first.

Urswick

Post by Urswick »

Greetings, all. New to Mudlet. Quick question...Does the Achaea package work on all IRE muds or just Achaea? I play Imperian and couldn't quite tell as I read through this thread.

Thanks.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

it might need minor adjustments in terms of triggers, but otherwise should be fine.

Hunter Green

Post by Hunter Green »

Considering moving from zMUD to a new client and the mapper is always the sticking point. Just downloaded MUDlet and got it and the Lusternia mapper installed and am very impressed with what I see so far for an "early version".

Using the downloaded xml map is absolutely wonderful, and it's my favorite thing about the MUSHclient mapper plug-in too, but it also brings up some questions/concerns:
  • Will there eventually be a way to get updates as new areas are released?
  • Lusternia's map doesn't include some areas (notably, player-made "manses") and probably never will. If we ever get to where we can map those ourselves, will there be some way to have the updates to the downloaded map not replace those rooms we've added?
  • Lusternia's maps also don't include the many, many exits connecting rooms that aren't cardinal directions but are things like "touch sigil" or "enter pool" or "transverse cosmic" which are pretty essential to getting around. If we ever get support for those, they also need to not get overwritten any time the map data gets updated.
  • Is there any provision, or will there ever be any provision, for assigning "costs" to rooms and/or exits, so that the path-chooser won't take someone through enemy territory, will avoid routes that are slow or dangerous when possible, etc.? Once more, that needs to not get overwritten when the data file gets updated.
I know it's really early to be asking about things like this, but I wanted to raise these questions now in case thinking about them early enough will help get them thought about early enough into development that they can be included in the design. So maybe I'm only half asking about them, and half suggesting them. (While I try to decide if MUDlet is where I'm moving next.)

What mapper are you coming from?
zMUD

What features are you missing here?
Too early to say in detail, but I'll echo the things other people said about being able to view the map without manipulating it, color-coding for terrain types, and being able to scroll around in the map. In addition, being able to set a "bookmark" name on key rooms and then walk to them from a command line is vital to me. Being able to mark rooms as "do not enter" or higher cost is vital (and zMUD falls short in not letting me put costs on exits but only on rooms).

What is your general feedback on the mapper?
The 3D view is amazing. I can't wait to see what it looks like in Hallifax, and better yet, Continuum.

What new features would you like to see?
I would also like the mapper to optionally be in a separate window.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Will there eventually be a way to get updates as new areas are released?
Yes, and you can do that now as well by deleting the map folder of your profile (~/.config/mudlet/profiles/<your profile>, where ~ is your home folder).

Lusternia's map doesn't include some areas (notably, player-made "manses") and probably never will. If we ever get to where we can map those ourselves, will there be some way to have the updates to the downloaded map not replace those rooms we've added?
This will be tough to do, and initial versions will probably not have this. ie, once you diverge you either continue on your own map (which if you think about it isn't bad - most people start from scratch).

Lusternia's maps also don't include the many, many exits connecting rooms that aren't cardinal directions but are things like "touch sigil" or "enter pool" or "transverse cosmic" which are pretty essential to getting around. If we ever get support for those, they also need to not get overwritten any time the map data gets updated.
Special exit support will be added.

Is there any provision, or will there ever be any provision, for assigning "costs" to rooms and/or exits, so that the path-chooser won't take someone through enemy territory, will avoid routes that are slow or dangerous when possible, etc.?
You can already do this, run the mmp arealock alias and click on areas you'd like to block off.

That is already possible, there is a button top-right in the mapper window that spawns it in a window on it's own. You can make that window as big as you wish and even move to another monitor if you have it.
Hunter Green wrote:Considering moving from zMUD to a new client and the mapper is always the sticking point. Just downloaded MUDlet and got it and the Lusternia mapper installed and am very impressed with what I see so far for an "early version".

Using the downloaded xml map is absolutely wonderful, and it's my favorite thing about the MUSHclient mapper plug-in too, but it also brings up some questions/concerns:
  • Will there eventually be a way to get updates as new areas are released?
  • Lusternia's map doesn't include some areas (notably, player-made "manses") and probably never will. If we ever get to where we can map those ourselves, will there be some way to have the updates to the downloaded map not replace those rooms we've added?
  • Lusternia's maps also don't include the many, many exits connecting rooms that aren't cardinal directions but are things like "touch sigil" or "enter pool" or "transverse cosmic" which are pretty essential to getting around. If we ever get support for those, they also need to not get overwritten any time the map data gets updated.
  • Is there any provision, or will there ever be any provision, for assigning "costs" to rooms and/or exits, so that the path-chooser won't take someone through enemy territory, will avoid routes that are slow or dangerous when possible, etc.? Once more, that needs to not get overwritten when the data file gets updated.
I know it's really early to be asking about things like this, but I wanted to raise these questions now in case thinking about them early enough will help get them thought about early enough into development that they can be included in the design. So maybe I'm only half asking about them, and half suggesting them. (While I try to decide if MUDlet is where I'm moving next.)

What mapper are you coming from?
zMUD

What features are you missing here?
Too early to say in detail, but I'll echo the things other people said about being able to view the map without manipulating it, color-coding for terrain types, and being able to scroll around in the map. In addition, being able to set a "bookmark" name on key rooms and then walk to them from a command line is vital to me. Being able to mark rooms as "do not enter" or higher cost is vital (and zMUD falls short in not letting me put costs on exits but only on rooms).

What is your general feedback on the mapper?
The 3D view is amazing. I can't wait to see what it looks like in Hallifax, and better yet, Continuum.

What new features would you like to see?

Hunter Green

Post by Hunter Green »

Perhaps you should just add a flag field to the internal database for whether a room/exit was downloaded or manually mapped. Then the download/import process can easily wipe the downloaded rooms and exits but leave the others alone. (Obviously there'd be a little more to it, making sure exits linking downloaded and manually-mapped rooms survived the process, but not that much more.) You'll probably have to do something similar anyway when you allow us to add special exits, for the same reason.

Thanks for the tips about the windowing and area-blocking. Is there somewhere I can read about the other command line things like that mmp command? (Area block is pretty non-granular, though; I'd like to be able to block individual rooms, or even single exits, and also be able to set costs, though I realize costing is a much bigger complexity.) Incidentally, area blocks probably also don't survive a new download, right?

I hope I don't sound like I'm asking too much or being critical. I'm very impressed by the whole thing, just trying to offer some ideas on things that might be a lot easier to add in earlier than later (and which will make a big difference at least for me, and probably for other zMUD-expatriates and Lusternians, but maybe not).