Linux generic installers test

Vadi

Linux generic installers test

Post by Vadi »

In addition to providing the PPA for Ubuntu users to make installation/upgrades quite easy, we'll also be offering generic installers for all other Linux-based OS.

The installers are entirely self-contained and should make Mudlet run out of the box in any modern system (aka you upgraded your system in the last 2 years at least). If it doesn't work though, please let us know so we can get the installer perfect before the 1.0.6 or 1.1.0 release at which point it'll be published on the website.

Note that the installers also include lrexlib and lua-sql with them, so they should work just as well as the windows setup.

Download:
Linux installer
Linux 64bit installer (only use this if you know you're on 64bit)

Please test and submit your feedback!

seldan

Re: Linux generic installers test

Post by seldan »

A late response... but I did try the 32 bit installer out. It worked ok, and installed in /opt by default. Had to make the .bin file executable, but that is normal. Also ran /opt/mudlet-1.0.6/run-mudlet.sh to source in the libraries in the bin dir. So, all in all worked fine and am happy to have some early version of 1.0.6 up! Haven't been able to compile from source for the past several snapshots.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Excellent, thanks.

Knute

Post by Knute »

I used the installer a few days ago, and ran into an issue with something with it.

I am running arch, and have 1.0.5 running without problems.
When I use the run-mudlet.sh script, I get an error:

Code: Select all

6:15PM % /opt/mudlet-1.0.6/bin/run-mudlet.sh                                   ~ (knute) pts/1
./mudlet: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
 6:15PM %                                                                       ~ (knute) pts/1
In looking in the /opt/mudlet-1.0.6/bin directory, I don't see libpcre.so.3.

I do have a libpcre.so.0 which is from pcre version 8.01-1.
I see that you have the rex_pcre and sqlite3 in there, which is nice, but I'm not sure what I'm missing. I updated my package manager, and have the latest pcre package, and there's nothing in luarocks that I could find either.
I downloaded the installer on March 3, btw.

Is there some short between my keyboard and the floor, or is the issue somewhere else?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

No, the issue is that I assumed that at least the PCRE library name would be standard across distros, and didn't add it to the installer. Arch made up their own name, that's why it's a no-go. So I'll be adding pcre as well to the next installer version.

A temporary workaround is to create a symlink with the name the installer is looking for to the one you actually have.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Updated links for 1.1.0pre1. Note that this is a pre-release; so if you install it have the patience to experience and report any difficulties.

One known issue is that it seems to gag all blank lines. Otherwise, lightweight client-side mxp, functions to get filepaths / dirpaths and other things are in and will be documented shortly.

Doesn't contain the pcre library yet.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Excellent! Thank you for the linux release.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Interesting. After uninstalling the old Mudlet data and reinstalling the new via linux x64 installer, mudlet still says it's 1.0.6, and doesn't seem to have changed in features (other than a new(?) bug where after changing settings the menubar disappears entirely).

Edit: Ok, double verified and the version is definately new, the numbers just haven't been updated to reflect it.

Also, I am getting the blank line gagging.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

There are new options in preferences to show the toolbar, menu bar, both or none. Make sure that you chose something.

I'll release pre-2 later today.