Mudlet 1.0.5(and Beyond) on the Mac

ixokai

Mudlet 1.0.5(and Beyond) on the Mac

Post by ixokai »

I'm going to be maintaining a build of Mudlet for the mac, tracking changes continually as they're released, so the Mac app shouldn't be behind the Windows or Linux edition in the future.

As of now though, this is still slightly experimental :) Any mac users who would like to help test it out are welcome! I recommend you do not overwrite your existing 1.0.4 until you're sure it works for you, though.

You can obtain the current app at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mudlet/ ... p/download

This bundle takes a different approach to packaging Mudlet from what the previous installations did: specifically it contains ALL dependencies within the .app and relies on nothing being installed on the host system. This way it should be entirely self-contained, simply download it, unzip it, and toss Mudlet.app where you want it. Uninstallation is as simple as dragging the .app into the trash as with most traditional mac software.

It is built on an intel 10.6.2, but SHOULD be compatible with any ppc/intel machine running the latest patch of 10.4 or higher-- it almost certainly won't run on 10.3 or below. This is a purely 32-bit program, but it should run fine on any 64-bit processors and on Snow Leopard, unless you go and boot force-boot a 64-bit kernel. Which is awfully hard to do and so I don't know anyone who does it :) If there's demand, I'll work on a fatter-fat binary to include x86_64, but by default all macs boot a 32-bit kernel (it doesn't stop you from running 64-bit processes).

If it doesn't launch, please post here a description of your system, including the exact MacOS X version(e.g., 10.6.2), your architecture(ppc, i386 or x86_64-- if you've specifically booted a 64-bit kernel) and a description of what happens when you try to launch it. It would also be helpful to go into Console and see if any error messages were written out during the failed launch.

If it launches at all, it almost certainly simply works-- unless you find some bug, but such bugs would probably not be related to the mac portion of the build. The exception being if you're executing some code to load a Lua module and that's failing: if that does, poke me because it means I messed something up! :) But the current build appears to load Lua modules fine (at least, lrexlib + pcre).

--Ix

Iocun

Re: Mudlet 1.0.5(and Beyond) on the Mac

Post by Iocun »

1.0.5.1 works great for me so far. Thanks a lot!

(OS X 10.6.2)

ixokai

Post by ixokai »

A new package is available; its the same version / code-wise as the previous version (1.0.5.3), but fixes a couple packaging issues.
  • * The icon now has lots of resolutions, so it shouldn't be blurry for anyone anymore, and look pretty all the time.
    * Fixed a little issue which prevented it from launching if in a directory with a space (thanks, Setar!)
    * Fixed an architectural-screwup with the luasql library which kept it from loading (duh, shipping /only/ x86_64 libraries when the rest of the app is i386+ppc is not gonna work)
To reiterate, this is code and feature-wise the same as the previous, its just me fixing a few goofs in packaging. You don't actually need to download it unless you want to use luasql or care about blurry icons.

Arkholt

Post by Arkholt »

Hmm, looks as though my job's been taken over. :) ixokai looks like he knows his stuff way better than I do, though. Great job, keep it up. :)