Most important texts for translation?

Hallo! ¡Buenos días! 问候! Benvenuto! Как дела? - Meet other non-English users here.
Including but not limited to: Deutsch, Español, 中文, Italiano, Pусский, etc.

Mudlet client and all included texts
50%
Introduction manual for new users
25%
Lua Function descriptions and API
No votes
Mudlet news and release notes
25%
General information on Mudlet site
No votes

Total votes: 4

Zaphob

Post by Zaphob »

Hey all!

Quick question. What do you think, which texts would be most important for translation?

Of course we translate the Mudlet client, but there is so much more you can read before or after you install Mudlet. As it is unlikely to translate all at the same time, please let us know where you think we should fokus first.

Please answer the survey. You may answer multiple options, and change your answer if you change your mind.

Are the categories too broad and you would like to clarify? Maybe I missed mentioning some other important texts? Feel free to comment below! Thank you.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: Most important texts for translation?

Post by SlySven »

When you say "Lua Function descriptions and API" do you mean the Wiki describing them or the actual in-game "commands"? I think the former will be essential if we want non-English users to make much headway with anything other than just "playing" Mudlet; after all, the powerful (when it is working as expected) Lua sub-system is essential for many aspects of getting the client to do just what is desired/needed. However, for the latter, although theoretically it might be possible to proved translations for the words used to invoke the functions in lua {I believe it would be fairly straightforward to substitute the function names with a lookup table containing the alternatives for different languages i.e. to replace setRoomColor with setRoomColour for those of us who use the Queen's English} but that is not without complications and is not considered desirable at present.

Zaphob

Re: Most important texts for translation?

Post by Zaphob »

SlySven wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:48 pm
When you say "Lua Function descriptions and API" do you mean the Wiki describing them or the actual in-game "commands"?
I mean the former, the descriptions in wiki, and not the functions' names themselves. Those would be ludicrous at this point and maybe even in general :mrgreen:

Agreed to your assumptions on bringing users forward from merely using Mudlet to "play" their games. However, how high is that percentage?

I assume, when you can code with (the English, no change here) Lua commands, you should most often probably also be able to understand the English texts describing those fucntions' parameters, examples, notes, etc. Maybe? Not in every case, mind you, I still find it important to translate the API and description, but maybe other things first.

Maybe a general introduction for some but not all functions, and not too much detail? Again, to find that percentage of users who would like to start using some functions now, but do not feel comfortable enough to read the (short but still) English descriptions in API manual.