Generic Mapping Script

All and any discussion and development of the Mudlet Mapper.
Oreolek

Re: Generic Mapping Script

Post by Oreolek »

Is there a way to make it a manual mapper? Where you'd enter room name and exits manually. That would be much easier to use.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Making a manual mapper is certainly possible, but there is no reasonable way to make this script into a manual mapping script without a massive overhaul. It would frankly be much simpler to build a manual mapper from scratch than to try to cut out parts of this script to reach the same point. That said, a manual mapper wouldn't be all that hard to make, so I might go ahead and make one when I have a bit of time on my hands.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

If you choose to build your own mapper and not use a previously created package you may want to include the following which will suppress the enquiry about not having a mapper script and "would you like to search for one" (on this forum!) by including a lua mudlet table and having it contain a mapper_script boolean which is set to true:
Code: [show] | [select all] lua
mudlet = mudlet or {}
mudlet.mapper_script = true

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Interestingly enough, I have never seen that message, with or without that code, or even anything remotely related to a mapping script.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

It'll show when you create a new profile to an unknown game and press the map button.

Eraene

Post by Eraene »

Back again with a question!

Is there a way to force the mapper to recognize a room by its exits, even if one of them is hidden? Say for example, I have a room in my MUD that has north, south, east and west. But west is hidden from view. It is however displayed on the map, but because it isn't in the actual room description, the mapper won't recognize it and won't follow me into that room. Is there a way to force it to?

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Sure. Go into mapping mode, walk into the room (which will create a duplicate), merge it with the original room (by getting them positioned in the same space and using “merge rooms”), and then add a door in the hidden direction. Or, if you can make it follow you to the room past the problem room, you can add a door from that direction, and not have to mess with room merging and such.

Eraene

Post by Eraene »

Thank you, I'll give that a try at some point.

One other thing I've had issue with, is one of my profiles creating an abundance of aliases in the alias section of my editor. I'm not quite sure what's causing it, but I've included an image of what it looks like.
Attachments
aliases.PNG
aliases.PNG (9.87 KiB) Viewed 6129 times

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

I don’t remember off the top of my head what causes this, but basically there is some action that when you do it, all of the temp aliases and triggers get displayed as if they were normal aliases and triggers. In this case, the script is only making temp aliases, so that is all you are seeing. In general, they should disappear if you restart Mudlet.

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

I'd like to know what the incantations/steps are - so we can fix them... :geek: