map "popup" for room selection - can I remove it?

All and any discussion and development of the Mudlet Mapper.
Cieon

map "popup" for room selection - can I remove it?

Post by Cieon »

Hi,
Couldn't find my question anywhere on the forum, so I've opened a new thread.
I play Midkemia Online and use the Mudlet client with the Matawa package.
On the map I get a small popup window that appears whenever I select a room on the map. It says "room selection". Can I remove this window somehow? It takes up a lot of space on the map.

Please see example in image below:

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Re: map "popup" for room selection - can I remove it?

Post by SlySven »

Nope - it automatically pops up if more than one room is selected - either by click and dragging selection (the grey box selection started with <CNTL>-left mouse click and drag) OR if there are more than one room at the location that you have clicked on. This is so that:
  • A) you know that there is more than one room involved
    B) so you can choose which room(s) to apply any context (right-click) actions on.
It is fixed in size and position and does overlay the info display as well so is in need of attention but I don't think we will be looking at it just yet - if you'd put in a bug report it will help to insure it does't fall off our to do list but it may not get top urgent attention.

Stephen
it is hard to think about draining the swamp when you are up to your a**e in alligators...!

p.S. Uh-oh - that is the SAME room number appearing twice - that is NOT a good sign - that suggests there is some internal map inconstancy which can cause problems. I had run up some prototype code to detect and cure issues that can occur with past coding errors but I never brought it into the main code base - gonna have to dust it off and get it in. Would you be willing to make your map available for an autopsy when I can find my Dr. Frankenstein gear to put on? :twisted:

Cieon

Post by Cieon »

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.
As you write at the end, the same number is always shown twice, no matter which area I am in, so I didn't really understand the usefulness of the pop-up. However, if it was actually showing the different room numbers in the area, that would make much more sense :mrgreen:.
Since it is taking up so much space though and overlay info display and map components, it would be good if it was possible to unable the pop-up, though not necessarily removing it.

Anyway, I will be happy to make my map available for your autopsy, but I need Dr. Frankenstein to give me instructions on how to do that as we get to that point :?.

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

Well, bring up the profile preference dialog, and on the "Map(per)" tab use the save map button to save your current map with a name in a location you can specify (the normal map files are the same but they have a date/time stamp as a name and are always stored in a specific directory) - then you might like to compress the file with gzip or zip or whatever you have (the map files are quite compressible) then email it to me using the address that I will send to you via PM if you request it - or if you have a pastebin or dropbox or some other "dump and share" web system account you can drop it there and I can try and retrieve it...

Another possibility is to report the duplicate room identical ids as a bug on Mudlet's bug tracker and I think you can leave the file as an attachment though that may be publicly viewable...

Cieon

Post by Cieon »

Which do you prefer? I can do either?

And if it's the first, please PM your e-mail address and I'll ship you the file.
Thank you.

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

Um, I never got a reply to this - but as I brushed up against the area of code involved when working on something else I do have a somewhat more user friendly version of the pop-up in preparation. (This will dynamically resizes itself to fill the entire left side but only if necessary and also displays the room names if any are detected (but doesn't if it doesn't) and automatically sorts on either id or name as rooms are added or removed from map by control clicking). I actually found that by using the area selector it was possible to click and grab rooms from different levels and move them all to one area - which could be useful for map editing.

The map info display at the top will then show whether it is displaying information about the "current" room, the single "selected" room or if more than one is selected how many are selected and with the yellow target mark from the custom line editor shows the location that is the "centre" of the selection for which the context (right menu) actions that work on a single room only (exits/custom exit line) or work from a particular room as a starting point (spread/shrink/move to). Also it shifts itself to the right to get out of the way of the pop-up room list when that is showing! :grin:

Hopefully that will get into the next full release {3.0.1}. :geek: