Background label limits mapper functionality?

All and any discussion and development of the Mudlet Mapper.
Angie

Background label limits mapper functionality?

Post by Angie »

I wanted to put a label with a border image behind the mapper widget, but I noticed that when I do that, it is no longer possible to manually move rooms in the mapper (moving them by setting coordinates still works). When I remove the background label, everything starts working again. After further testing it turns out that if the label only has the width of, say, 1/5 of the mapper widget, it is partly possible to move rooms, but they can only be moved as far as the border of the underlying label.

Is this intentional? Is putting labels under the mapper a no-no?
Angie @ Midnight Sun 2
Alayla @ God Wars 2

Jor'Mox

Re: Background label limits mapper functionality?

Post by Jor'Mox »

In all likelihood, you are actually putting the label on top of the mapper, and are simply able to view the mapper through it. Clicking through a label rather obviously doesn't work.

Angie

Post by Angie »

It is definitely behind the mapper. It loads first, and I can click through it - I can select the room, but not drag it.

Edit: also, the label has a background image, so if it was in front of the mapper, I would not see it at all.
Angie @ Midnight Sun 2
Alayla @ God Wars 2

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Fair enough. Sounds like it could potentially be an issue with the basic functionality for dragging vs clicking.

Angie

Post by Angie »

I partly solved the issue by splitting the immediate border into 4 labels that are drawn around the mapper. However I still have another label behind that's no easy to get rid of, because it runs along the top window border at 100% width.

The rooms cannot be dragged further up than the bottom of this label (marked by the yellow line):

Angie @ Midnight Sun 2
Alayla @ God Wars 2

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Is the remaining label serving any purpose other than for image display? And, if so, would it be disrupted if you broke it into multiple labels so that none were behind the mapper?

Angie

Post by Angie »

It would play merry hell with window resizing. At the moment, the 100% width takes care of that, if I split it or compute a pixel width for it, I will have to redraw it every time the window is resized. That can be done, of course, but I would rather leave it as the last resort.
Angie @ Midnight Sun 2
Alayla @ God Wars 2

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Let me guess, using Geyser? Yeah, it doesn't play nicely when you are trying to combine both percent and pixel values to determine a size.

Angie

Post by Angie »

Yeah, I'm using Geyser. But when debugging the original problem, I tried everything, including vanilla labels with pixel size. It didn't make any difference. The dragging functionality just will not work wherever the mapper overlaps the label beneath.
Angie @ Midnight Sun 2
Alayla @ God Wars 2

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Well, yes, what you use won't change how the objects themselves behave. But the positioning issue is obviously a Geyser issue. I actually had similar positioning woes, so I ended up making a window management system of my own that properly handles position and size using both percent and pixel values, either alone or combined.