(mapping script) Simple mapping script for Discworld MUD

All and any discussion and development of the Mudlet Mapper.
Curudan

(mapping script) Simple mapping script for Discworld MUD

Post by Curudan »

I've recently finished making a mapping script for Discworld MUD. Though I'd originally made this just for my own use, someone else has expressed an interest in it, so I gave it a little polish and commented nearly every line of code.

Due to my relative inexperience with LUA and the nature of the MUD (lack of GMCP room ID's, extremely slow heartbeats, and a MUDside command queue) this is a manual mapping script, and it will not map the MUD for you. Though it can still be a very speedy process; I mapped most of Ankh-Morpork in about six hours.

There is a fairly lengthy readme included that details the basic usage of the script.

Major thanks to Demonnic for answering my questions on IRC; without him this script wouldn't have happened!

Updated Script on September 19, 2014; Fixed a bug, added rudimentary special exit support, and changed the mapper dispersion. Check the readme for details.
Attachments
Discworld Mapping Script for Mudlet V3.zip
(12.34 KiB) Downloaded 2175 times
Last edited by Curudan on Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Vadi

Re: (mapping script) Simple mapping script for Discworld MUD

Post by Vadi »

Awesome, thanks for making this!

Tzodiak

Post by Tzodiak »

Wow, this is great! Has there been any new development on the script since it was posted?

Curudan

Post by Curudan »

I played around with it a few months ago, but got distracted with other projects. I just finished tidying it up, so here's a new release.
  • The mapper will now place rooms two squares apart by default to make it easier to fit rooms together. If you use ctrl+alt+numpad it will place them only one room apart. You can change any of your old 1 space maps to 2 space maps by band selecting every room on the map, selecting "spread", and typing "2" in the dialog box.
  • Changed the table loading script so it will properly initialize some variables on a new installation.
  • Added rudimentary handling for special exits. "cspecial enter stall, leave" will create a new room from the current room with those special exits linking them. You can enter any two strings for the exits, but if you are adding something new, you will probably need to add an alias in the movement aliases folder so the mapper will follow properly. The format should be pretty clear, just copy one of the existing ones.
That was all of the glaring feature omissions bothering me over the last year. It's unlikely I'll add much more, I don't have time to play Discworld Mud much anymore, and I've learned so much LUA over the last year it bothers me working with code I know I could have wrote much better.

Maybe I'll do a complete refactor some day. :lol: