CoffeeMUD Mapper Help

All and any discussion and development of the Mudlet Mapper.
Belic

CoffeeMUD Mapper Help

Post by Belic »

Alright, so I work as a builder/GM etc on a semi-small MUD with a dedicated playerbase. Several of our players utilize Mudlet for their gaming (myself included), but there are no publicly available maps for this game either on this forum (that I have found). I would be perfectly fine with making the map myself and updating it, but I was wondering if I could garner some assistance in making the scripts/aliases for getting the mapper to work. The MUD I refer to is Edge of Midnight, in case any willing helpers want to look into it to try and help with the mapping or the scripting for it.

I appreciate any help offered! Thanks, all!

Vadi

Re: CoffeeMUD Mapper Help

Post by Vadi »

How would mapping have to be accomplished in that game? Are room IDs available to the client (either via text, ATCP or GMCP?)

Belic

Post by Belic »

I'm not quite sure how it is called, per se. However, I do (as an admin) have the ability to view room numbers IC by usage of restricted (admin) prompt options. Thus, if I map it via my God character, I would be able to view it via text, at least. I will see if I can't ask some of the coders how it is called when I next have the opportunity, but for now we will assume it goes by text, as I know I can set a trigger to fire via prompt utilizing the room number portion of said prompt.

(I simply used a trigger to echo "blah" if Mudlet received the string [Holy City#248] by usage of substring. Worked perfectly.)

If I receive any updated information regarding usage of ATCP or GMCP, I will post the news here. Appreciate the help, Vadi.

Belic

Post by Belic »

Alright, so I got in contact with on of our coders and they did indeed verify that it is via text.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

That eases the mapping job by quite a bit. I'm not sure however if there's an "off the shelf" mudlet mapper script that would work for your MUD... The one I maintain for IRE games uses GMCP to retrieve it's room IDs, so it would require some changing, but once you have the room IDs and it is able to track movement, you'll have a fairly good script to map with: http://forums.mudlet.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1696

Belic

Post by Belic »

Any advice on how I should edit the mapping script? It calls the area names by means of [areaname#roomnumber]
For example, [Waygate City#10]

I'm not particularly adept at scripting/coding, but I'm sure I could figure it out with a bit of assistance/direction. I've already installed the mapping script you linked me to.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Actually from looking at it, at the moment it is really reliant on GMCP's feature of knowing which room #'s are adjacent to you as well. While I've been working on making it work without that feature (for wilderness mapping in IREs), that's not finished yet. So it might be of help unless you really can dig into it and figure it out...

Borbarad13

Post by Borbarad13 »

Has there been any success story on getting a mapper working on a/the CoffeeMud server? This would of course be great and safe a lot of time.

Anyhow, I started playing around yesterday (as I could not find a working solution anywhere for CoffeeMud) to catch room name and description with three triggers, but encountered some problems. It would be great to post the screenshots here, but I can seem to be able to post those (which would be important to see also the color of the characters).

Is there a solution available for CoffeeMud? If not or niot known, how can I post pictures here?

Borbarad13

Post by Borbarad13 »

Is there any know solution to have a working mapper for CoffeeMud (even as non-admin)?

I have been playing around with trying to set up a mapper myself, but have some challenges I would like to share with the triggers. It seems though that I can't post pictures/screenshots - although this would be good as the room name and description is colored.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

So, since CoffeeMUD is really just a codebase, the specific game you are playing that is based off of it will be relevant. They could be using an older version of the code, or made some modifications that affect how you are able to get information for a map. I know the developer of CoffeeMUD has visited the forums, and asked around about how to make things mapper friendly, so potentially you could have a lot of tools available to make mapping easy for you.