[Feature Request] Invert X/Y Axis on Mapper Window

All and any discussion and development of the Mudlet Mapper.
Kalon

[Feature Request] Invert X/Y Axis on Mapper Window

Post by Kalon »

I would like to request a new pair of functions for the Mudlet Mapper, which will invert the X/Y axes on the map display.

I'm currently playing a MUD where room coordinates are passed through GMCP. In order to make my map consistent with the in-game map, I have edited the IRE mapper script to parse this data and and set the room coordinates for my rooms accordingly while mapping. This works great, except that the MUD places coordinate 0,0 in the top left corner, but Mudlet's mapper window places it in the bottom left corner. Being able to invert the Y axis on the window would be super helpful to stop north-south from being inverted for me.

Vadi

Re: [Feature Request] Invert X/Y Axis on Mapper Window

Post by Vadi »

I'm not convinced. 0,0 is the center in Mudlet - not that coordinates are relative to each other anyway, as you can pan the map.

Kalon

Post by Kalon »

What aren't you convinced about, exactly? I promise you, my map really is upside down when I use the coordinates provided to me by the MUD. If its just that you think its not a useful feature, I'd say that its also something that would be appreciated by builders from many different MUDs, since sometimes its nice to be able to see your area from another angle. Just having a toggle for each axis so people can flip it to suit their individual needs is all I would want.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

You can already flip it that way with the 3D view... and view it any possible angle you'd like to.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Trivial solution:
y_map = y_gmcp * -1

Kalon

Post by Kalon »

But it would also be trivial to implement that in the mapper itself, and then I wouldn't have the inexplicable - sign in my display and wouldn't have to remap the entire game. I had thought of that, and my fallback solution was to remap the game with that set if I received a negative response here.

Vadi, the reason I cannot use 3d rotation for my case is that that would also reverse either the Z or the X axis, depending on which rotation you used, and then the map would be incorrect again.

chris

Post by chris »

It's sort of silly to have that embedded in the mapper itself in my opinion when you can just flip the coordinates so easily in your script.

Daagar

Post by Daagar »

I know aardwolf does their GMCP in the 4th quadrant as well, as my basic mapping script for there had to do the same thing. As Heiko said, just y*-1 to solve it. There is nothing wrong with having negative x,y values in your map display because there is a very slim chance you are going to map any mud consistent by always starting in the exact 0,0 location and never crossing 'back' across those planes.