Shared Mapper

All and any discussion and development of the Mudlet Mapper.
chris

Shared Mapper

Post by chris »

I started playing with the idea of shared mapper instances across profiles. I'd like some opinions on the user interface and how to deal with managing a shared map between profiles. The idea is to have a single map for multiple profiles, so instead of having identical/out of sync maps across multiple profiles on the same mud, you have a single map open across several sessions.

How I currently implement it is this:
a new lua command, shareMap('session') which makes both maps on each session identical -- so move a label/etc. and each map responds in sync with the modified map.

What needs to be worked out:
1) Saving -- should there be a new 'choose your map' option, similar to how modules are saved, where there is a consistent location of the last map, and a folder for backups of maps.
2) Linking maps -- should it be a lua command, or a simple interface (since once we get a common saving scheme together this only needs to be done once).
3) Room id markers -- this might be a nice addition, the ability to have multiple 'current room' markers on a map, so you can view in each window where your other character is located (or other markers of your choice).

Thoughts?

Lezard

Re: Shared Mapper

Post by Lezard »

I think it's a brilliant idea. If I had the coding knowledge I would help ya too.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I agree with this as well.

Regarding the interface - I think it should be done via settings, where you link your map profile with another map profile. File names, folder of backups and such are Mudlet-internal things and I don't think the user should be fussed about it, plus it'd be easier to select and understand if they had one option - "I'd like this map linked with <choose profile or "no"> profile".

So for #1, I don't think this should be in, plus we should have a proper USB support where Mudlets home directory itself is customizable instaed.

For #2, it should be both - there should be a Lua API for everything Mudlet, and the interface via already existing settings window.

For #3, that's a good one as well.

That's what I think - great idea, and this is definitely needed for multi-character MUDs.

Though one thing that I wonder is how should the map which area to center on if there are several characters. Perhaps it should center on the profile you're currently tabbed on? Though this won't work for multiview.

chris

Post by chris »

For 1), there needs to be a common map save. The shared but coming from 2 sources model has issues with it. Some are:
You load a map from 2 'shared' file locations -- what one do we choose as our real map?
Your shared map is loaded from 2 places, you play character a, change the map. Now when you load a & b -- we have 2 maps of different sizes and save times, what one is real?
Saving: you are doing the same save twice (not a huge issue, but still wasteful)

For 3) I was thinking you have a lua command to set what one to track, and a new event on tab/focus switching that can be raised.

If someone wants to fork what I end up with and add support for odd cases, so be it. I don't care to. For USB support, it wouldn't change with scenario 1). You choose where to save the shared map & where to place the backups. If you choose a USB, so be it.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

The shared but coming from 2 sources model has issues with it.

I think we can work this out, though.

You load a map from 2 'shared' file locations -- what one do we choose as our real map?

Both should be the same if they're 'linked'.

Your shared map is loaded from 2 places, you play character a, change the map. Now when you load a & b -- we have 2 maps of different sizes and save times, what one is real?

The latest one used.

Saving: you are doing the same save twice (not a huge issue, but still wasteful)

Not necessarily - you could asyncronously then just copy the file you've just made instead of compiling all the data into a file instead. That'd be better, wouldn't it?

chris

Post by chris »

I'm designing it to be a single save point. For its first implementation, it's going to be simple and not over-designed. Other aspects can come into play later (since this is likely a long off project).

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Fair enough, I just don't think the user should be bothered with to choose a location for the map file though. It should just work, like the existing maps don't require specifying a location. Perhaps make another folder on the same level as profiles and moduleBackups - sharedMaps, and the user would just need to give the map a name, and a combobox that reads filenames off that folder would be presented when they'd like to link a profile to a map.