GMCP for Materia Magica

All and any discussion and development of the Mudlet Mapper.
breakone9r

GMCP for Materia Magica

Post by breakone9r »

So I've played MM for years, off and on. I've recently decided to try to use mudlet, but the lack of a working mapper is holding me back. Nothing I've seen for MM is anywhere CLOSE to being up-to-date.

I would like to change that. But I really don't have any clue where to start. I am not completely unfamiliar with scripting, but lua is a bit outside my comfort zone. Old folks, new things, etc. lol

My best "work" is modifying other people's working stuff to suit my needs, but I can't even find a decent start for something that works.

halp plox? :P

Leigheas

Re: GMCP for Materia Magica

Post by Leigheas »

You could look at the IRE mapper and go from there. It is based on gmcp. Would just have to see how Mm sends their gmcp info and change it to match.
I used it and converted it to msdp for a mud I play on.

Won't let me post the link but search google for mudlet IRE mapper

breakone9r

Post by breakone9r »

I'm trying to use that one right now. On my already-downloaded map, it seems to -sometimes- follow me. It seems the map itself is broken. So I removed said map, created a new one.

After turning on mapping with mc on, it doesn't follow or create any new rooms AT ALL.

Leigheas

Post by Leigheas »

Yeah you need to read the wiki With the IRE mapper you have to manually add the room first then it will map. Same if you want to split the map into areas. Its annoying but becomes muscle memory once you use it enough

breakone9r

Post by breakone9r »

I've got a map created, an area created, and a room created. but moving doesn't create any new rooms. Nor does it ever populate the rest of the info for the first room.

Leigheas

Post by Leigheas »

You need to see how the gmcp data is being sent by MM. Then modify the script.

breakone9r

Post by breakone9r »

See, that's the thing. I don't know HOW to see that data. And the script seems overly complicated. But I'm afraid if I go ripping stuff out I'll break it completely.

I'm just not that good at lua.

And add to that the fact that it's all code wrapped in XML? Meh

tintin++ is so elegant, but extremely simple. I want to use mudlet as it's far more powerful.

But I just can't seem to get a grip on the scripting.

If someone could just show me a stupidly simple gmcp room.info event script, I might be able to figure it out. But the IRE mapper script I've found here is far too complex for me to easily understand.

atari2600tim

Post by atari2600tim »

I haven't done any mapping at all, but have learned some general GMCP stuff.

There's a PDF tutorial that covers GMCP stuff with Mudlet, which was helpful for me. Same info is elsewhere but I like how it is compiled together with that PDF. On the third page, it mentions a "run Lua code" alias. You'll want to use that and type "lua gmcp" to see saved data that has been sent to you. It will show this table with lots of data formatted using indenting and braces and such. To get more specific, you can do something like "lua gmcp.room" (or gmcp.Room, caps-sensitive) to see just the room part. Much more is in the PDF, but when you get to that point, you'll know enough to figure out the GMCP data that was sent to you.

https://www.mudlet.org/wp-content/uploa ... torial.pdf

Also I found this web site about Materia Magic GMCP handling for MUSHclient. Second half of it shows sample data for a room, that 'lua' alias should give you something similar to what they got there. And the next link is a page that talks about the room data sent by IRE games. If you're starting from a map script meant for IRE games, then maybe compare these two and see where it might differ. I see some differences in like room ID where it appears that one uses a number and one uses a string containing a number, which might mean having to convert between the variable types. Maybe they both are a string containing a number and one just didn't show the quotes around it for all I know, but this is the kind of thing to keep an eye out for.

https://sites.google.com/site/mscriptsm ... cp-handler
https://nexus.ironrealms.com/GMCP#Room

breakone9r

Post by breakone9r »

Hmm... Ok, so I've been playing around. It seems that either I'm not watching for the correct event, or MM isn't throwing a gmcp.room event when the room changes.

I've managed to mostly figure out gmcp.char* and have some long term plans for that, now. But I only seem to get a room event when I force it, via a manual "protocol gmcp sendroom" .. any idea why it's not firing when I change rooms?

However. it still seems to be updating the gmcp.room table itself when I change rooms... what the?

edit: Now this is super strange. Seems it was firing the event. But my debugging echos were being suppressed because I had echos for a difference event....