Newbie Mapping Issue

All and any discussion and development of the Mudlet Mapper.
kooner

Newbie Mapping Issue

Post by kooner »

Hi there,
all right, I am the dumbest Ogre warrior in the world of the Realm of Magic. I am using the magical Mudlet 3.11.1 and I am already able to pick up my weapon if I loose grip on it, or creat magical buttons, that allow me to kill, to bash and to quaff potions. But still I stambling thru my world without being able to write down rooms and create maps or use mappers. The wizards here have so much secret knowledge, and my attempts to understand that failed again and again although i read a lot of the scroll that are put into the Mapper section.

Can anyone of the humly mighties here help me out?

Bow
Kooner the dumb Ogre

Jor'Mox

Re: Newbie Mapping Issue

Post by Jor'Mox »

Mapping is COMPLICATED, though some games make it a lot easier than others. A decent mapping script can easily involve more than 1000 lines of code, with many convoluted interactions getting everything to work the way that it should. If you are relatively new to Mudlet, I'd advise against trying to make your own mapping script. That said, there are scripts available that can do most of the work for you. In particular, I have a generic mapping script that you can find on the forums here that needs only a little work on your part to get it working. Basically it needs some triggers to be created to feed it info and tell it what is going on, along with a bit of reading the documentation so you know what aliases and such to use to actually do the mapping, and how they all work. Conveniently, the script is designed for games that don't provide any extra help when it comes to mapping, so it should be able to be used with any game. That is probably a good place for you to start.

kooner

Post by kooner »

Hi Jor'Mox, thx a lot for the quick and reliable answer. I found the posts about the generic mapping script (viewtopic.php?t=6105). So i will copy/paste the code and follow the steps about the triggers. Lets see what happens.

kooner

Post by kooner »

Hm, i quote from the post: "...Edit: At Vadi's suggestion, I created a proper package out of this, and wrote a single command you could put into Mudlet's command line to install it. There is a very basic set of triggers in place to help get things going, but the odds are low that they will work for your game without significant adjustment..."

Actually I could not even figure out what to do to get the packkage...Ikeep messing around in Mudlet to find how to to do, but a step by step answer would be great - much appreciation.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Take this whole block of text, copy it, paste it into the command line, and hit enter:
Code: [show] | [select all] lua
lua function downloaded_package(a,b) if not b:find("generic_mapper",1,true) then return end installPackage(b) os.remove(b) end registerAnonymousEventHandler("sysDownloadDone","downloaded_package") downloadFile(getMudletHomeDir().."/generic_mapper.mpackage","http://dslpnp.altervista.org/Generic_Mapper.mpackage")
It should be like sending any other command to the game, and so long as you haven't deleted it, each profile in Mudlet comes with a "lua" alias that lets you execute code with it, which is what this command it taking advantage of. Doing that should download a copy of the latest package and install it in that profile. If it worked, you should see a folder with two scripts in it, and a folder with a handful of triggers in it.

kooner

Post by kooner »

so far ok, download worked. thx a lot. i ll be trying to set up triggers...

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Oooh, look at how the dumb Ogre is wise-sing up now - I just hope he is up in some icy snowbound realm so that he can stick his head in a snowdrift when the brains inside it starts to overheat... :P

P.S. Have fun - and find a Mud that rewards good role-playing!