How in the world to use a mapper

All and any discussion and development of the Mudlet Mapper.
Vadi

Re: How in the world to use a mapper

Post by Vadi »

I'm able to connect okay. Can you connect to it with telnet?

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Vadi wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:51 am
I'm able to connect okay. Can you connect to it with telnet?
Yeah, telnet connected after a noticeable delay, somewhere north of 30 seconds. I get the impression that Mudlet is timing out while waiting.

Edit: For reference, I'm using Mudlet 3.4.0 on macOS 10.12.6

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Maybe. Try another connection - it's instantaneous for me.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

I have tried to connect multiple times, and even created a second profile to connect to the game, with the same results. The delay when connection via telnet is also pretty consistent. Connecting to the website for the game is as fast as any other, and pinging the address gives reasonable numbers. Not really sure what is going on here, and it isn't like I can just take my desktop computer and plug it into a different internet.

syd

Post by syd »

Jor'Mox wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:19 pm
Yeah, that is what I was trying to connect to, and it just sits there, trying to connect. Anyone else have this issue, or is it just me?
Hmm.. ive never had issues connecting. try by IP: 138.197.30.160

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Works perfectly. I'll note that when trying to connect with swmud.org, Mudlet (and also Telnet) was trying to use an IPv6 address, rather than an IPv4 one. Not sure why that would matter, but it seems to.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Okay, so I have put together the very basics, and gotten them working, though I had to get a bit creative since there are no actual room names to work with (I opted to use the last line of the room description instead, for consistency). But you have mentioned two exit types that I haven't seen yet while working on putting the mapper together, namely "out" and "exit". The "out" exit type should be handled just fine, since "in" and "out" are normal exit directions, but I'm not sure what I should actually do with the "exit" exit type. Is it the opposite of "out"? Or is it something else?

SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

Post by SlySven »

Ah - port 6666 - that is slap bag in the area of official port numbers that Internet Relay Chat servers use; see Wikipedia - on the other hand I was able to connect to it with Server Address: "swmud.org" (which resolved to an IPv4 address of: 138.197.30.160) Port: "6666" so maybe it was just an issue for a few people...

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

It seems to be connected to if it is using an IPv4 or IPv6 address. When I connect to 138.197.30.160, it works great... when I connect to 2604:a880:800:10::209c:5001 it takes forever, and Mudlet times out before a connection is established. Would be nice if Mudlet actually let you know it gave up, instead of just sitting there saying it was trying to connect.

syd

Post by syd »

Jor'Mox wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:54 pm
Okay, so I have put together the very basics, and gotten them working, though I had to get a bit creative since there are no actual room names to work with (I opted to use the last line of the room description instead, for consistency). But you have mentioned two exit types that I haven't seen yet while working on putting the mapper together, namely "out" and "exit". The "out" exit type should be handled just fine, since "in" and "out" are normal exit directions, but I'm not sure what I should actually do with the "exit" exit type. Is it the opposite of "out"? Or is it something else?

I think out would be a special .. like a door. Its seen in places where there is an elevator.. and you go in the room and "there are no exits" youll "press 1" for floor 1, and then you can "exit". Probably a special case