How does one load a map?

All and any discussion and development of the Mudlet Mapper.
mtheoryninja

How does one load a map?

Post by mtheoryninja »

Hey I'm playing WoTMUD and have a downloaded map. The map file is in the .mdb format which I think zMud uses.

Is it possible to use this map file with Mudlet, and if so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Vadi

Re: How does one load a map?

Post by Vadi »

It's not possible, because the format the map is in is secret - so nobody else can make something that imports it.

mtheoryninja

Post by mtheoryninja »

K, well thanks.

Jaizsur

Post by Jaizsur »

This reply is way late but I've just recently been trying ot Mudlet to see what it's like. What he could do is load his .mdb map into Open Office by using Open Office Base > Clicking "Connect to an existing Database" > Microsoft Access > then opening up his .mdb map and saving it as an .odb file. Then with Open Office he can like export the tables into .csv files which should be easily imported into Mudlet.
Last edited by Jaizsur on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Didn't know that. It's a step closer, but the conversion will still need to take place

Jaizsur

Post by Jaizsur »

Right, but everything is in the tables like the coordinates of the rooms and the colours so you could, in theory, load the map exactly how it looked and operated from zMUD.

If I have some free time I might try to look at it and whip together a conversion program. I'm not too saavy at programming ever since I stopped taking programming classes but I could at least do the work of figuring out the structure of zMUD's map (I did this years ago and should have saved my notes) and documenting it here.

Also, I gave my zMUD map to Poergh a long time ago in csv format and she wrote a script to convert it into her MUSHClient map, I'll see if she still has that because that might make the work easier.

Is there any documentation on the format of Mudlet's map? Does Mudlet's mapper have tables for things like room cost, room description, room notes, etc?

(Also, if this can be done who would ever use zMUD/cMUD? :-D Not that I play anymore but not having my zMUD map would be the only thing keeping me from making the switch.)

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

There are room weights, but not description. It's stored as a binary format (because mudlet also supports grid maps - it wilderness, text format would make the files huge). You can find how it's serialized here: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mudlet-mak ... p.cpp#L872

Jaizsur

Post by Jaizsur »

Description is pretty useful (I would have never found all of Annwyn's many entrances without checking my databases for the clues) but that's easily added. Also, notes can be useful, I used notes to keep track of a room being indoors/outdoors so you can query the database and temporarily recolour all indoor rooms red if you don't want to walk in there during a bandersnatch.

Are rooms locked to those 12 exits? I know my zMUD map had almost 100 unique exists (pushing things, pulling things, saying things, etc, etc) Other than that, it seems like this could work.

Furthermore, does anyone have any data on the average x, y, z coordinates of a mudlet map? zMUD seems vary wildly from 0 to 30000 on the x/y axes. Many places it seems as if zMUD has centered the rooms in that zone incredibly far away from 0,0 so a script may need to be written to remedy that.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

There is a way to store custom user data, so I think that can be accomplished.

Yes, they are locked to that - because those are the standard ones. You can also have special exits in a room, which serve as the unique exits.

It depends how you set it up... Mudlet gives you the flexibility of adjusting the exact coordinates even. Typically it's 1 unit per exit, but you can move them around as you want. Mudlet supports MMP, so it auto-downloads and uses the map from achaea.com/maps/map.xml - and that map comes with exact coords. You'll see them they aren't off that widly.

Heiko
Site Admin

Post by Heiko »

Jaizsur wrote:Are rooms locked to those 12 exits? I know my zMUD map had almost 100 unique exists (pushing things, pulling things, saying things, etc, etc)
The 12 exits are the only ones that are visually represented on the map, but you can define any kind of exit and the mapper will use it for speedwalking e.g. pulling the plug plunges you into mean dungeon 2948.