[New Members send a Reply Here!] About us

A category for whatever! Can be Mudlet-related or offtopic.
SlySven
Discord: SlySven#2703

[New Members send a Reply Here!] About us

Post by SlySven »

Over the last year we have been bombarded by Bots that attempt to get around the systems to keep them out which has resulted in literally hundreds if not thousands of members which have not made a constructive post to the Forums. Given that getting the ability to post messages here requires a first post to be approved by the Administrators or Moderators and that at some stage we are possibly going to want to start purging members who have never posted anything it will be a lot easier to identify Bots that never make an accepted contribution to the site if our real members do post something.

I hope that by sticky-ing this topic it can be used by new members to post their first (a unique message)* about something that has at least a vague connection to Mudlet, Muds in general or why they wanted to sign up here. E.g. what got you into Mudding. If you do include a URL in your post e.g. to a MUD's own website please make sure that it is to something directly and obviously related to Muds or Mudlet - links to random sites (even your own, unless you are a MUD operator and the site is your Server :D ) are exactly what Bots try to do to us - so don't emulate them else we miss-identify you as a Bot and treat you accordingly (ban or delete you!)

* - Bots have been known to copy other posts but using Google-fu we can spot this!

Given that not everyone wants to tell all and sundry everything about themselves even here, you might just want to say what Muds you have played or want to play and what you think about them. Or give us glowing praise and encouragement in a unique way... 8-)

SlySven

Re: [New Members send a Reply Here!] About us

Post by SlySven »

Anyhow, just as a starter message:

I first became aware of Mudlet around 2013 and had previously used the TinTin++ console based client; having contributed a few snippets to the latter I got interested in a FOSS GUI client that could also work on multiple OS Platforms. As some of my code/bugfixes were adopted into the Mudlet codebase I got more involved (err sucked-in) and have been poking around in the C++ source code ever since.

My MUD loyalties are with the Wheel of Time fantasy-based Mud called, not surprisingly WoTMUD, though as a matter of resource allocation I have not had much time to actually spend in-game for some time now. As that MUD prefers one to keep alternative characters separate I publicly admit only one identity here, but if you ever run into Jomin in game then that should be me...

Tithonus

Post by Tithonus »

Figured I'd bang out a quick intro while I was compiling, and this seemed like the appropriate thread so here goes. I discovered mudding a little over 10 years ago (A little late in the game I know), and after a couple of happy years playing around on IceWind and VikingMUD, as well as a few others I can't quite remember, dropped out of the scene after doing a full Linux migration ahead of the release of Windows Vista. I had toyed around with a few console based clients afterwords, but never really found one that felt right.

I recently had one of the users on my BBS ask me a question about MUDs, so I decided to start looking for clients again and found my way here. Once I have a chance to futz around with the software a bit I'll let everyone know what I think.

QBFreak

Post by QBFreak »

Yes, I am human :)

I started playing around with MUDs about 15 years ago, when I had large amounts of time to kill and easy access to the internet at the same time. I spent most of my time on one themed after a comic strip, although I can't say I ever played the game all that much. I mostly used it as a big chat room and a place to build. Now, all this time later, the games I used to lurk on have all disappeared or become empty shells. I once again find time on my hands, so I'm in the process of building a procedurally generated space themed MUD.

Aydein

Post by Aydein »

I already attempted to post elsewhere, but then I seen the issue about having to filter out first time posters. I figured I'd post here to show I'm human. I've been playing MUDs for about eleven years off and on. I enjoy it when I have the time. I started on a small MUD and loved it. It's been closed down for some years now. I've tried an IRE Mud before and it was okay, but it wasn't really my cup of tea.

SlySven

Post by SlySven »

Aydein wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:35 am
I already attempted to post elsewhere, but then I seen the issue about having to filter out first time posters...
Ah, no, before your posts will be visible to our, lacking a better word, normal users a post must be seen and approved by a moderator or an administrator which then unlocks your ability to let others see what you are typing. This area was an attempt to provide somewhere for people to put in that first post should they not otherwise have a burning matter that they need to tell/ask everyone about as soon as possible... 8-)