Spam.

A category for whatever! Can be Mudlet-related or offtopic.
hogarius

Spam.

Post by hogarius »

I'm sorry to see that your website is getting increasingly autospammed.

Vadi

Re: Spam.

Post by Vadi »

So am I.

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

So, is there a way that we can let members that are new (joined within the past week or so) and/or have fewer than a certain number of posts (maybe a dozen or so), be marked by ANYONE as spammers, so that their stuff can be hidden, and their posting privileges suspended pending appeal? I think it would help a lot of regular users could flag spam to help keep the forums clean.

icesteruk

Post by icesteruk »

Doesnt the 'report' button do this? like let the admin/mods know?

Jor'Mox

Post by Jor'Mox »

Well, I was thinking something along the lines of blocking them automatically, and hiding whatever they have already posted, without admin intervention. Hence the limit on only allowing it for new users, to catch most spammers, but prevent it from happening to normal users. Admins would still be notified, and could still review the reported post to see if the person should be given access back or not, but then normal users could kill spam without having to wait for admins to jump in and get rid of it.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I'm not sure - I think I'd like to try a another captcha (we've had success in repelling them for a while by changing captchas). It seems the most trouble-free both for new users and existing ones. demonnic will do some work when he's available, he's our admin.

hogarius

Post by hogarius »

It's gotten really bad in the last 12 hours or so. The forums have pretty much been rendered useless.

Tagon

Post by Tagon »

If it helps any, and I know I'm new here so this might be kindly declined..., but I work from home and I check the forums often. I'm happy to be a moderator and delete/move spam posts to a hidden forum section?

phasma
Discord: phasma#4694

Post by phasma »

To be honest, most of the problem is down to the forums software being used. It's notoriously susceptible to this crap and requires almost constant revision to the anti-spam methods.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I've changed the captcha to be a reCaptcha. If that doesn't work, we'll have to go with manual post approval and such.