New Life for Old Computer? Linux?

A category for whatever! Can be Mudlet-related or offtopic.
Orlendr

New Life for Old Computer? Linux?

Post by Orlendr »

Ok, I guess you can get Linux/Ubuntu or whatever it is for free, I have an old Compaq Desktop that used to have Windows XP Home on it, but when I went to reinstall the OS with the recovery disks we made I found out the disks for incomplete and now it has no OS on it. So I was wondering if it would be able to run Linux/Ubuntu, and that I would then be able to surf the net, play Mudlet, etc.

Any info would be great, I've never done anything with any other OS's before, and I would REALLY like to have my own computer again.

Vadi

Re: New Life for Old Computer? Linux?

Post by Vadi »

It would certainly work! I'd recommend you try Lubuntu or Xubuntu - they are different variants of Ubuntu that would work better on this older computer. You could try Ubuntu itself as well - see how it goes and good luck!

Orlendr

Post by Orlendr »

So all I need is to burn it onto a blank CD then pop it in the Compaq? Or could I somehow install it from this computer using an ethernet cord? (This is my moms laptop, a friend got it for her after the old Compaq starting giving her problems, it's also a Compaq but newer, it runs Windows 7).

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Yeah just burn onto a CD, pop it in and it should show the Ubuntu installer (if the laptop is by default setup to boot from the CD - if it's not, you can change the boot order, it should show you how).

kevutian

Post by kevutian »

I use this for old hardware. Extremely fast distribution.

http://crunchbanglinux.org/

Orlendr

Post by Orlendr »

Well, I put xubuntu onto a disc and it seems to be working, but its not installed on the computer. I think it's on the desktop, but nothings come up, it just sits there "thinking" (Y'know, when the pointer turns into a circle and it just keeps spinning). :? It took forever just to get past the loading screen... :|

Orlendr

Post by Orlendr »

Installer finally came up, so clicked install, now it's taking forever again. Wish me luck and keep your fingers crossed! :D

Delrayne

Post by Delrayne »

Yes, installing OS's takes a bit of time. Running from a 'live' CD can be slow as well. Just keep your patience and welcome to the Linux family. Its hard to go back once you discover it.

Orlendr

Post by Orlendr »

Well, it's still not working, I used an ISO installer that they suggested, and when I first got it to where I tell it to install everything, it told me it encountered an error. So still nothing, I've tried it a bunch of times since then and it wont even get tot hat point now. It just freezes, or takes FOREVER to do anything... Should I make another disc? I only have three more. If this doesn't work (go through the rest of the discs) I don't think I wanna try again for how much I had to pay for them... :( I'm still hoping it'll work though!

kevutian

Post by kevutian »

What specs does this old computer have? Ubuntu is far from a lightweight distribution, even in its "lesser" forms.

Give Crunchbang a try. It's -much- less bloatly. After installing, booting into the OS results in a RAM consumption of just 56MB.