ubuntu for gold

A category for whatever! Can be Mudlet-related or offtopic.
demonnic

Re: ubuntu for gold

Post by demonnic »

ebook format converter (assuming calibre isn't x-platform)

Calibre is in fact cross platform, and is available in the ubuntu repositories. Though as usually it lags behind.

Caled

Post by Caled »

Thanks for all those replies, they made Ubuntu great - until this weekend.
The "hangs on checking battery state" bug reared its ugly head after an update, rendering Ubuntu unusable - can't log in at all.

Luckily I'd been backing stuff up properly so all I lost was a couple of hours of scripting. I really should look into some better way to get my mudlet profile into dropbox/subversion. I wish the latest was always named the same thing, with only older versions being given date/time stamped names.

So now I'm back on osx, but at least sublime is cross platform. It didn't take me long to get far too used to it.

kevutian

Post by kevutian »

Reboot and log in on the recovery console. Remove the offending package and reboot.

Caled

Post by Caled »

phasma wrote:Reboot and log in on the recovery console. Remove the offending package and reboot.
What's the offending package? It's the most difficult bug I've ever tried to track a solution for. Intermittent, reappearing every so often for a few years now apparently, but a bit different each time. :?

I spent most of the weekend working on it, so for now I'm giving up. I'll return to Ubuntu in a couple of months when I replace this computer.

Edit: I don't blame Ubuntu or LInux for the difficulty. Apple's hardware never plays well with anything but Apple.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

First time I've heard about this, but I don't buy any Apple hardware - so that would explain it. That's certainly true that Apple only worries about making it's own stuff work on their hardware, anything else is an uphill battle. They like to keep their advantage (if you can call it that?).

kevutian

Post by kevutian »

I'd need a bit more info to go on rather than "hangs on checking battery state" - Can you provide your boot dmesg and kern.log? Would be a good place to start.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

It's a bit of a common problem, apparently: https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourcei ... 1&bih=1104

Caled

Post by Caled »

Thanks for being willing to try and help, Phasma, but I really can't be bothered. All things going well, about 6 weeks from now I will sell this thing on ebay and use my prettier half's 12" Asus netbook until next year when I'll be looking at buying something else for myself.

I'd put more effort into sorting this out if I wasn't getting rid of the 'puter so soon.

If I have similar problems getting Ubuntu running on the Asus, I may just hit you up, but I don't expect there will be as I think the same model was released in some parts of the world with Ubuntu preinstalled. (1215p). It'll keep me going for a while anyway, though I know from experience that it only just manages to run Lightroom. I'll make sure my editing it up to date before I make the switch ;)

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Check out the Ubuntu certified hardware list for Azus, on that note.

Caled

Post by Caled »

Vadi wrote:Check out the Ubuntu certified hardware list for Azus, on that note.
Thanks for that, it's a handy reference. The netbook in question is indeed on that list, although I did expect the list to have been longer.