Losing our home

A category for whatever! Can be Mudlet-related or offtopic.
Orlendr

Losing our home

Post by Orlendr »

Well, just in case anyone has any advice.

Over the last 5 years a lot of crap has happened...

- We moved to a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere, thought it was going to work out over time.

- Mom got a job and I started looking, but was held back by not having the experience or training that people wanted and not having my own vehicle.

- Mom had a brain-leak and had to go to the hospital, once recovered she couldn't work anymore and I still didn't have a job.

- Lost or Home-owners Insurance.

- Lost our food stamps.

- Car needs parts that we cant afford while living on the money Mom gets every month, and they don't make the parts anymore anyways. Can't get it inspected.

- Find out we had to re-apply for food stamps because we didn't get the forms in the mail.

- Find out we missed some taxes because we didn't get them in the mail.

- I had to let my license expire because I had no money, no vehicle, AND found out they were supposed to send me some forms, once again didn't get stuff in the mail. (Mom believes someone (a certain person) is stealing our mail, but we have no way to prove it, or any proof)).

- Tax people inform us we owe basically $2,000 or they're going to sell our House. We also have bills that we owe.

We have nothing to sell, I can't get a job, we have to pay this money by the end of this month, we have around $300 to live on for the rest of the month. I'm just wondering if anyone has been through anything similar, or has any advice, any idea of what to do? :?

demonnic

Re: Losing our home

Post by demonnic »

I would suggest, as corny as this may sound, calling the office of one of your congress-persons. It's their job to represent you in government, and often this can take the form of "Is there some sort of way you can help me save my house".

I know here in Georgia they have a program they're having a hard time getting people to sign up for, because nobody knows about it. So I'd maybe give them a call. The worst thing that can happen is they can't help, and then you're no worse off. With it being tax issues on the property (it sounds like?) there may be less they can do.

Have you looked into getting training through the unemployment office? I know they will sometimes subsidize training for things like commercial trucking. YMMV of course, as these things I am led to believe are different from state to state, if not county to county.

Finally, I'd give google a whirl and see if there were perhaps any local organizations that could help.

That's all I've got, though. Good luck.

Delrayne

Post by Delrayne »

As far as tax issues go, can't you file an extension? Not sure if the cut-off date for that has passed or not.

If its a land tax, you can see if a respectable business man/woman in the area would be willing to pay them. Just be sure to not let them pay the taxes on it for three years in a row as they will then own the land.

As far as a job is concerned, demonnic suggested training through unemployment. You could also look into to "service for cash" jobs like cleaning yards, home maintenance, clothes washing. You can also go to your local church that you go to and see if they might be willing to help, they may have a halfway home or something similar that you might be able to stay in if nothing else. I know small towns and communities tend help their own, at least mine does.

Orlendr

Post by Orlendr »

Yeah, I asked Mom what we we're going to do and she said she was going to call the tax people I guess.... The problem with getting a job around here is that their all taken already (even raking lawns -_- ). As for asking for help like that, it's really annoying but Mom is not the kind of person to do that unless all else fails. If she found out I had posted on here about it all she'd be really pissed at me, she doesn't like it when I share personal stuff with people, which I understand, but still...

Delrayne

Post by Delrayne »

No, I get that entirely man. Personal stuff is personal stuff. I don't know how old you are, I'm guessing the 17-19 range but I'm proud of you for recognizing the situation and actually trying to help in some way or another. Another suggestion would be to take a look at your community and see what its major economical force is. For my community its timber, sawmill, and oil refineries. Try your hand at some of those, as general rule there is usually a pretty good turnover rate for minimum wage employees there and who knows you might even find a trade there you're willing to pursue later in life.

Again, we don't know how far back against the ropes you all are. And while I totally understand the nature of pride and personal info in this situation, you also can't be to proud to ask for the help as well. Which you've done, and held your head up while you did it, something I think should be admired.

Zaphob

Post by Zaphob »

There are many people with alike problems like yourself. You should try and reach out for somebody to help you. Now this is not the forum for this topic, but there are certainly some who deal with these issues a lot. Also, there will be offline groups relating to this, which you can go and check out. Take all the help you need to get out of the debt spiral, or things might increase to get worse. Sometimes it is as simple as calling the right person and asking for a payment delay or something, but you probably won't think of it now, as you don't have all their experience and got other more urgent stuff on your mind, too.