Codebase help.

A category for whatever! Can be Mudlet-related or offtopic.
syrik

Codebase help.

Post by syrik »

Ok, I am wanting to play around with programming a mud. What is the simplest mud codebase that will work with a macintosh (stuck with one until I can dual-boot windows 7)? Any help is appreciated (especially help from the imms and creators of muds). I would preferably like to use python to do most of the mud, since python is so simple. Also, a quick run through of compiling the codebases (if I need to) would help a lot. Thanks!

Omni

Re: Codebase help.

Post by Omni »

Not the forums for this.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

I wouldn't try to do something so large in Python. While python can be a great language for small networked apps it doesn't hold up well against something as complex as a MUD. It simply doesn't have the memory management to handle so many concurrent connections.

Hate to say it, but you're really going to have to bite the bullet and go with C (or C++).

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I don't think so, Lua would go as well. I think http://prosody.im/ serves as a testament to Lua's capability for that.

syrik

Post by syrik »

Lua looks promising (I hadn't even considered lua). There is the online book at www.lua.Org/pil, and is there anything else I should read about lua? Also, if lua doesn't work, then c/c++ is always ok. Thanks for the quick answers.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

There are no established codebases with Lua though. You'll have to make a lot of things from scratch (though a lot of the basic low-level libraries are in place).

syrik

Post by syrik »

I guess I'll start looking at existing codebases (nakedmud/circle especially since those are the ones that I have experience playing) to see what is involved and then figure out how to convert the basic ideas into lua.