Something else to do with Lua....

A category for whatever! Can be Mudlet-related or offtopic.
Omit

Something else to do with Lua....

Post by Omit »

(like we don't have enough to do :))
http://www.anscamobile.com/corona/

I have been playing around with this software for the last few months. (It is an application development kit for iOS and android. You code your application entirely in Lua. Free to try it.)

Vadi

Re: Something else to do with Lua....

Post by Vadi »

Note that what they use is a re-implementation of Lua that does have subtle (and annoying) differences from the Rio Lua VM.

Omit

Post by Omit »

Yes.... but if you know Lua it is pretty easy to create an app. Thing that I miss when using it is loadstring. (blocked in order to comply with apple's no compiling on device rule.)

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

App? I didn't see Corona providing any access to the native app API. It's only for games and such.

Omit

Post by Omit »

There is some access to some of the functionality of native api's (not all) and only through their Lua implimentation of them. Some parts of it they have done well with, other parts need work (example: they give some access to the fine location api(GPS) but it is poorly done....least on android....told it works better on iOS) It is a closed enviroment (meaning if they have not implimented it in Lua you can't do it) but still pretty cool. (and yes it does lend itself to games more readily than other apps, but it is getting better)