mudlet.exe issue

A category for whatever! Can be Mudlet-related or offtopic.
Eidolon

mudlet.exe issue

Post by Eidolon »

I wasn't sure where to put this question, but I do wish to know if there's any source of an error as to why sometimes the mudlet.exe would freeze the client and cause it stop responding? I would have to sometimes force quit the client and reload it, and sometimes risk it occuring again. Any idea what may be causing it?

Rakon

Re: mudlet.exe issue

Post by Rakon »

Lots of issues may be causing it:

Improper scripting/looping,inefficient trigger match,something else interferring with the running process...

What Mudlet version (build number), what OS/platform, are you able to start mudlet from the command line and get console output of the crash happening?

When/what situations does Mudlet crash under? Certain time of day, certain amount of lag/spam, etc.... We need more info other than 'Any idea what may be causing it?'

Eidolon

Post by Eidolon »

The client version is under 2.0, running on Windows7. There's also no certain time of day when it happens when it does. A few times it has happened in the afternoon, or like now during the night time it occured. As far as spam or lag... when I last checked, there were little to no lag-spikes. I'll try to run it in debug, but appears random when it freezes and stops responding.

Rakon

Post by Rakon »

Heh, my questions wheren't actually 100% 'tell me these answer' questions. More like trying to get you to elaborate on the situations under which the event is occurring. Usually, just stating a problem without any supporting evidence, will not get a very useful answer because more information is needed. That is what my post was implying. Please provide more information.

imanerd

Post by imanerd »

The "Mudlet.exe has stopped working. Windows is finding a solution to the problem" thing? That's happened to me plenty of times. Mostly after I have too many aliases that have the raw command typed into the substitution box and not a send("[command goes here]", false) or without the false (either or, also without those brackets in the actual script I type). Also after the mudletcommandhistory.exe clipboard becomes full after 50 commands, though hopefully test4 will fix that, which I'm sure it will since I trust Vadi, Heiko, and the other developers though I only know those 2 by name, that they do their very best considering how great mudlet is and has been. Otherwise, I once had an issue with the "mudlet.exe has stopped working. windows is finding a solution to the problem" thing before, but I learned that it created a mudlet-bug file I think it was called, in ProgramData folder in the C:/ drive, and I guessed that was the issue, and I deleted it. Though then I had to redo all of my triggers, aliases, and scripts, at least I was able to use mudlet since before that, it came up with the error before I even got connected to a profile...well err, right upon the moment i clicked connect.

imanerd

Post by imanerd »

So maybe try checking out your ProgramData folder for a mudlet-bug file near the top of the list, and deleting that. Yes, you'll have to start all over with your stuff, but at least mudlet will work most likely from then on unless it recreates that file. That's my guess anyway. I'm in no way the expert, but I found it had worked for me, so it may work for you, especially considering we both use windows 7. Oh and if you don't see the ProgramData folder in the C:/ drive, you might have to edit advanced folder options to make it show hidden folders, then it should show up. :D