Qt 4.7 is out!

A category for whatever! Can be Mudlet-related or offtopic.
Vadi

Qt 4.7 is out!

Post by Vadi »

http://qt.nokia.com/about/news/nokia-releases-qt-4.7

Unfortunately the only semi-relevant change I see is faster particles in opengl. we don't make use of any in the mapper yet, but might in the future...

tsuujin

Re: Qt 4.7 is out!

Post by tsuujin »

Vadi wrote:http://qt.nokia.com/about/news/nokia-releases-qt-4.7

Unfortunately the only semi-relevant change I see is faster particles in opengl. we don't make use of any in the mapper yet, but might in the future...
You know, I've been pondering the usage of 3d graphical drawing systems in Mudlet lately. Clearly the capability is there, but I think it could be expanded on. Imagine being able to render a character placard on the fly with a 2d toolkit? or draw a 3d model of a humanoid body to represent limb damage?

The only problem I see is that Lua's a bit limited for that kind of client side scripting, I think something like ruby (which is truly object oriented) would be a bit better.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Yeah heiko's said he's looking to providing a more down to earth 2D api... I'm not sure about 3D though - if the context necessary for it can be just put into the main display like a label can be.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Vadi wrote:Yeah heiko's said he's looking to providing a more down to earth 2D api... I'm not sure about 3D though - if the context necessary for it can be just put into the main display like a label can be.
Really it'd be fine to just provide a rectangular display surface that can be imposed on top of the text window (in exactly the same way that the current 3d mapper works)

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Yeah but that imposing isn't nice. It's not really 'embedded'...

Do have the question of the lua-qt opengl bindings though, need to google some on if anyone made anything.

Shota

Post by Shota »

Before switching to Mudlet -- and the reason why I was so reluctant -- I had done a fair bit of work binding the wxWidgets library to MUSHclient for the same reason. Humanoid shape image that tracks limb damage, shows whether your shield (tattoo) or shield (rebounding) is up (different coloured circles around the body) etc. with the added benefit of being able to click a limb to apply mending/restoration appropriately, etc.

I am 100% in support of this kind of thinking. For what we -could be- doing and what -has been done-, we are way behind.
tsuujin wrote: The only problem I see is that Lua's a bit limited for that kind of client side scripting, I think something like ruby (which is truly object oriented) would be a bit better.
I wholeheartedly disagree, Sir. We are moving more and more towards full Lua integration (LuaJIT anyone?) and this seems like a step backward. I don't think Lua limits us in any way (see wxLua) unless your application of Lua is limited. In fact, Lua is IDEAL for this kind of client-side scripting, especially if Lua already has access to things like GMCP.

QtLua? http://www.nongnu.org/libqtlua/

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Look at screenshots on mudlet.org/media - you'll see interfaces that through their seamless integration and looks outdo anything you've seen. I don't think we're behind, but we certainly do have a lot we can add.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Shota wrote:
tsuujin wrote: The only problem I see is that Lua's a bit limited for that kind of client side scripting, I think something like ruby (which is truly object oriented) would be a bit better.
I wholeheartedly disagree, Sir. We are moving more and more towards full Lua integration (LuaJIT anyone?) and this seems like a step backward. I don't think Lua limits us in any way (see wxLua) unless your application of Lua is limited. In fact, Lua is IDEAL for this kind of client-side scripting, especially if Lua already has access to things like GMCP.

QtLua? http://www.nongnu.org/libqtlua/
Either you're misinterpreting the extent of 3d coding I want to be able to have access to, or you've had no to limited experience doing that kind of coding. I spent a good portion of my career developing real-time physics algorithms for 3D rendering. It would have simply been impossible to do much of what I'd done without object oriented namespacing (at least without doubling the codebase size). Lua is highly limited in this respect, and I don't believe the language was ever intended to be used for it.

You'd have to do most of the work on the back side in C++ and simply give Lua minor calling functions. This, of course, highly limits what the normal developer is going to be willing to do (as you'd have to essentially distribute a modified mudlet binary to your system's users).

Shota

Post by Shota »

Maybe behind gave the wrong idea. I didn't mean behind in technology, I mean behind in innovation. There's so much undiscovered GUI goodness to tap into!

As for what's on the media page.... meh.

I don't see a chat mini-window that disappears/appears by toggling the tab key, that captures tells, CT, order, House, market, clans and gags output, and is also right click configurable and logs with timestamps. (Yes, I've seen YATCO. Not quite there yet :)

I don't see an eagle-eye icon on the top right corner of the screen that indicates line-of-sight to target. If I have no line of sight, the icon fades (becomes transparent), if I have line-of-sight, it becomes solid. If my target is a denizen, it disappears completely.

How about a mapper that used in conjunction with fullsense, (I'm a monk, heh) lists all the people in a room in a transparent popup when you put the mouse over that room on the map? left click a name to mind-lock and up pops a graphical display that floats to the top left of my screen and tracks my lock (neatly logging the time it took to lock, my willpower drain, and when exactly the lock gets broken)

At this point, I don't know if it's really about pushing the graphical capabilities of the client or developing intuitive, efficient interfaces to those capabilities.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

"I don't see an eagle-eye icon on the top right corner of the screen that indicates line-of-sight to target. If I have no line of sight, the icon fades (becomes transparent), if I have line-of-sight, it becomes solid. If my target is a denizen, it disappears completely." Well you can do that. I posted some media on the interface I've made myself that should give a little of the idea of what is possible!

I've yet to see someone have such a seamless interface as this one either: http://www.mudlet.org/wp-content/upload ... /GAt1d.png

The mapper is in infancy stages, and doesn't have any APIs related to drawing things in it. We're still working out the actual mapping part. Of course, if you're experienced with C++, then feel free to pitch in. I wouldn't mind starting a technical discussion on the bindings