MXP

A category for whatever! Can be Mudlet-related or offtopic.
Vadi

Re: MXP

Post by Vadi »

Yeah I couldn't install that on Crossover.

Shota

Post by Shota »

Crossover... You are using Mac?

Weird. I really expected you to be on Linux. =P I got it to run on Linux under WINE.

(Actually, I've gotten -everything- to run in Wine. A buddy and I forked a distro a while back specifically for running Linux on Apple's iPod music players. Long story short: I got World of Warcraft to run over the WINE layer on Linux, -on a 5.5-generation Video iPod.-)

P.S. sry 4 teh über-troll

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

No, I'm on Ubuntu. Just purchased CrossOver Linux Games though yesterday, I bought Civ5 and they were giving me a 50% discount ($20).

I thought the .exe was an installer. Running it as a command worked.

Their room list seems to be a bit better formatted than the Nexusnew clients, but I'm not really getting your point in their differences.

Shota

Post by Shota »

What do you mean 'getting (my) point in their differences'?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

`Why bother with fancy, expensive GUIs when simple text-boxes can list vital character information?'

Shota

Post by Shota »

Oh, well I was actually remarking how Newxusnew and Revelation are similar in that regard.

I don't think Rev uses any graphical displays outside of regular controls found in MSVC 6.0.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

I see.

KaVir

Post by KaVir »

Sorry to necro the thread, but I was looking for information on MXP and wanted to respond to this particular point:
Shota wrote:I think all the energy behind the MXP movement could easily be channeled into GMCP. It has new features (with kinks we could be working out!) and the potential to do a lot of the same things MXP does.
The two most commonly supported MXP features are links and 24-bit colour, and IMO those are really the only options worth adding anyway. The latter isn't so important IMO, as Mudlet supports 256 colours already, and I find those are more than sufficient for most purposes. However I make extensive use of links, and you can't very well add those to GMCP.

I saw Vadi had created a script for clickable URLs, and I bet that could fairly easily be adapted to MXP's <send> tags, but muds aren't going to send that data unless Mudlet successfully negotiates MXP.

I've been considering adding another special case to my ATCP hack, a sort of "pretend they're using MXP" option, so that a Vadi-style script can capture "<SEND>command</SEND>" or "<SEND HREF="command">text</SEND>" and replace them with links (although there'd need to be some concept of MXP mode as well). Would this be feasible purely from a scripting perspective, or would it do strange things to do the screen width?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

It should be fine. We have one player who added a custom color tag parser for a proprietary MUD and that looks fine.