Embedded/HTML documentation system [scrapped]

A category for whatever! Can be Mudlet-related or offtopic.
Vadi

Embedded/HTML documentation system [scrapped]

Post by Vadi »

Is there any interest on collaborating on an open-source documentation system for Mudlet? I'll be starting on one for my system sometime soon, and since it's a semi-large project (due to the features I've planned) - I'm wondering if anyone else has a need for it, and if they'd like to collaborate on a publicly available one.

My idea for it is two-part - internal in Mudlet for accessibility while playing, and external - most likely browser-based, for accessibility while not playing.

So this means that the same content can be 'generated' for both formats. The basic idea for it is, like typical MUD documentation, is to have an index page and content pages. Since we have clickable links, the documentation should be able to make use of those for linking documents - click on a link, and it'll pull up the appropriate topic. Embedded formatting like colors, italics and underline should be available.

If interested in collaborating on this, please PM or post.

Update: Mudlet will get an embedded WebKit window, so any browser-based doc system will work.

Wyd

Re: Embedded/HTML documentation system

Post by Wyd »

Sounds really good,

count me in

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Are you talking about documenting your system, or documenting Mudlet as a whole?

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

The idea is for systems built in Mudlet (there are a few about now). Using it for Mudlet itself would be a neat application, though.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Why not spend the time in implementing an HTML engine instead? Then you could go so far as to use a dynamic language to document your system.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

Hasn't occurred to me. I don't see that being useful for the way more work it'd require, in the end the engine only supporting a very limited set of HTML anyway...

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

well, a lot of Mudlet already has support for most of the HTML tags you'd need. I have no idea how they're processed, but it crosses my mind that you may well already have some sort of HTML engine. If you could get just the basic tags for displaying links, colors and spacing you'd have more than enough to let a PHP script do the work of displaying everything.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Would make for a pretty cool miniwindow, if you ask me. It'd also open the way for a lot of really cool display methods for tracking complex information that didn't need to be updated in real time.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

No, there is no HTML engine - only one available is inside labels :P but you can't click inside those, so that idea won't go.

tsuujin

Post by tsuujin »

Ah well, it's a thought.