Windows Vs Miniconsoles

Geyser is an object oriented framework for creating, updating and organizing GUI elements within Mudlet.
Proeliatora

Windows Vs Miniconsoles

Post by Proeliatora »

What exactly is the difference between mini-consoles and windows in Geyser? Or, if that question is stupid because I'm missing something important about what windows are intended for, can someone please explain the important aspects of windows and what they are useful for as I don't understand the reference from the wiki.

Cheers,
Kat

Silvine

Re: Windows Vs Miniconsoles

Post by Silvine »

Having a quick look at the help for it wiki.mudlet.org/w/Manual:Geyser I think a window is just the generic term for the other components. A one line summary for each is
container = base window you can put other components inside e.g. label, gauges etc. An action on the container affects all the child components e.g. re-size, move, hide, show
label = put a few words or an image in this. Lots of formatting options. Can act like a button etc
miniconsole = put large bits of text in here, e.g. summarize your stats or use as a chat window. Less formats than labels, so doesn't look as pretty.
gauge = measure how much of something is left in a graphical format. Makes a real impact on your GUI. Measure your hp's etc with this
Hbox / Vbox = easy way to organize a lot of related labels. They all re-size and fit automatically to their parent container. e.g. list of skills or spells. This is a pre-made container with some labels in it.

Proeliatora

Post by Proeliatora »

Well... without any intention of being rude you just told me about everything except what I asked lol. Admittedly I should have been more specific about what was confusing me.

I was actually referring to this.

The way I originally read what it says and the layout of the API as a whole I took it as another class of it's own like label/miniconsole etc but perhaps those functions can be used on any type of geyser object.

Vadi

Post by Vadi »

On that page: "Represents an abstract window class designed to be subclassed for windows that are built on Mudlet primitives, like labels." <- it's essentially what Geyser.Label is built on (aka Mudlets labels) - and when you're using a Geyser Label, you have access to all functions in Geyser.Window, as well.

Proeliatora

Post by Proeliatora »

Thanks Vadi. Looks like we eventually muddled it out correctly between us afterall.